His Captive

Chapter 22

The clock striked ten when I rushed out of the large dining hall.

My footsteps clacked angrily against the floor as a rush of wind blew in from a nearby window. It nipped at my skin, causing me to coil back from the sudden temperature drop. The wind felt as if it was gently caressing the sides of my arms and whispering in my ear.  

The anger I had only a couple of seconds ago seemed to dissipate along with the wind. I shook my head, refusing to believe what I had heard. Voices. I was starting to go insane, yeah, that's what it was. I didn't hear voices in the wind, no sane person hear's that.

Heading to my chambers, I creaked the door open and plopped myself onto the soft, puffy, bedding. Just forget the voices and focus on the pillowy comfort you're in now. Sighing, I smiled and dug my face deeper into the warm comforter, dispelling any previous thoughts I had about the voices inside my head.

Then, almost immediately after, I couldn't seem to help but think over to the suspicious and sinister aura surrounding Caldwell. It grabbed ahold of you, made sure you knew it was there and choked the life out of you if you got too close. In a nut shell, Caldwell was definitely someone who couldn't be trusted, no matter how disarranged my thoughts were.

After awhile of wracking my brain, my eyelids started becoming very heavy as I involuntarily drifted off into a deep sleep.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Coldness seeped into my skin and violently jolted me awake as I choked out lungfuls of water. Suddenly, a large hand shot out and forcefully pulled me up to a standing position. I yelped in surprise, unsure of who it was that decided to treat me with such force. Blinking, I realized that everything seemed to look blurry and unclear, even the figure's face in front of me looked skewed.

"Hello Adelaide," Caldwell sneered, eyeing the pink embroidered gown that hugged every curve I possessed. I could've guessed it was him.

"What do you want Caldwell?" I whispered, unsuccessfully ignoring the fear that was stirring inside my heart.

"You," he breathed, slamming me up against the wooden doors as pain radiated up my arms and blood trickled down my fingers. Closing my eyes, I breathed in a lungful of air, pretending that the devil himself wasn't right in front of me.

"I'll never be yours," I said, mustering up the courage to glare into his green orbs. Caldwell's frightening laugh bounced off the wall's, echoing back. It made me tremble in fear, fear that rooted me to the very spot he held me in. How could someone be so ruthless? So malevolent?

"In time you'll be mine, whether you want to or not," he gritted out through clenched teeth, his hand latching on to my throat. "And I'm talking about that soul that burns inside you so brightly," Caldwell cackled, unable to hide the pleased smile that decided to stretch across his sharp face.

"No, you're wrong," I uttered back, shaking from the intensity of his stare.

"Am I? Or is that just wishful thinking?" He sneered, lifting his other hand to caress the side of my face. "You'll die in due time, a time that I see fit," He finished, breathing in my ear and making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.