The Rescue

Chapter 30

Arthur's POV:

(There will be some errors, editing this chapter soon, bare with me :) )

The castle wasn't as heavily guarded as Gavin and Adrianna had previously thought.

In fact, it seemed more like a ghost town than an actual castle. As we hastily followed Merlin throughout the twists and turns of the dark corridors, the feeling of something sinister wedged itself deep inside the crevices of my heart. I just couldn't seem to shake the foreboding feeling that was encompassing me.

Just as I was about to express my suspicion, deafening screams ricocheted off the stone walls, causing everyone to freeze. My eyes bulged as my heart pounded faster, Adelaide?! my mind screamed, propelling my legs forward without a second thought. Every muscle in my body urged me to fling the door open at the end of the hallway.

Another scream sounded, daring me to twist the metal knob before me. Hastily, I grasped the handle and flung the door violently open. Nothing could've prepared me for the scene that was displayed right in front of me. Adelaide's shaking form was dripping with blood as Caldwell stood above her in a vicious manner, a dagger clasped between his bony fingers. He raised his arm, getting ready to land another blow on her now blood soaked skin. Without a second to process the raging thoughts that were clouding my mind, I grabbed a large candle holder from the nearest bedside table and bashed it across his skull. His body instantly buckled and dropped to the floor as Adelaide's frail one fell into my embrace.

Her hands were trembling as she cupped my cheek into her palm.

"A-A-Arthur?" She stuttered, seeming unsure and confused. "B-but you aren't real," Adelaide whimpered, her lower lip trembling as I nuzzled the crook of her neck.

"I am real Addie. I'm here," I croaked out, tears blurring my vision as she clung onto me for dear life. The state Adelaide was in broke my heart entirely. The fact that Caldwell had the audacity to treat her in such a violent manner sickened me. Her fingers lost their strength as her body went limp and her long dark hair seemed to smell of lilies and iron. "Adelaide, Adelaide please don't, please," I begged, refusing to believe that the end of her life was near, that the life I'd been imagining we would have together was only but a mere fantasy. "Please," I said one last time, tightening my hold around her slim waist, refusing to accept the glaring truth. After what felt like hours of sobbing and holding her against me like a vice, I could distinctly make out the sounds of approaching footsteps.

"Arthur, let go of her," a strong, masculine voice ordered. Without thought, I yanked my head up and connected eyes with the sorcerer. Merlin's posture was proud and proper as he easily lifted Adelaide out of my strong hold and set her on the warmth of the silk bedding before us.

A multitude of questions invaded my mind as Merlin's fingertips sparked with light. Questions that made me boil over in anger. The image of Caldwell's form and Adelaide's screaming, trembling body, was lodged inside my memory. How could I let it get to this? How could I let him take her? I scolded myself, running my hands forcefully through my hair as Merlin clasped his hand on my shoulder, adverting my attention away from the scene that was tortuously replaying over and over again inside my head. 

"She'll be alright Artorious," He smiled a reassuring smile as he placed her soft hand in mine. "She'll be alright." Wrapping my hands around hers, I blew hot air on her porcelain fingers, refusing to believe that I'd lost her, even if it was for just a moment. With one twitch of her index finger and another twitch of her middle finger, her eyelids fluttered open as she gazed up at me in awe.

"Arthur?!" Adelaide sobbed, throwing her arms around my neck as she clung her body to mine. "It's really you," she said in a breathless manner, seeming undisturbed by the sorcerer that was timidly peering between the two of us.

"It's really me," I choked, finally holding her in my arms after what felt like an eternity. The rapid pounding of my heart subsided as a small smile spread itself across my face. Without a second thought, I slid my hands on either side of her face and gently tilted her chin up. I need her. No, I want her, in ways even Satan himself would be displeased by.

"Arthur, is everything alright?" She questioned, her brows knitting together in confusion as I hungrily pressed my lips to hers, refusing to leave any room for conversation. At first she gasped in surprise, until, slowly, she willingly parted her lips, giving me the invitation that I needed. Almost greedily, I flicked my tongue against hers as she quietly moaned against my mouth.

"AHEM," Merlin coughed, looking rather livid as he abruptly pulled me away from Adelaide's grasp. "Enough! It's time to get Adelaide out of this godforsaken castle and somewhere where we know she'll be safe," He rushed out, dismissing our bewildering looks as he shoved us out of the dingy room. "Before Caldwell wakes," he shoved harder, giving me an alarmed look.

"ADELAIDE!" A raspy guttural voice roared, leaving little room to argue with Merlin as Caldwell rounded the next corner. His fiery red hair was pointing every which way as the silk tunic he wore was brutally stained with a substance that seemed to resemble the color of red wine. "I'm not done with you," He howled even louder, the bright emerald in his eyes turning into a hair-raising forest green. Anger rose in my throat as I gripped the hilt of my sword, I'm itching for a fight anyways, I smirked.

"Yes you are Caldwell," Merlin boomed, the air around us crackling like lightening on a stormy day. His electric blue eyes were fixated on Caldwell as his hands lightly shown with light that was quickly phasing in and out with every breath he took.

"Oh look, isn't this a rare sight to see, big brother finally showing his true colors," Caldwell cackled, seeming pleased with Merlin's reaction. "Or are you trying to protect dear Adelaide?" He questioned, his head cocking to the side in a mocking manner as a smirk played across his thin lips.

"Don't get your knickers in a twist little brother," Merlin scoffed, suddenly materializing beside Caldwell as he wrapped his hands tightly around his throat and shoved him back against the stone wall. Hard. "You're not that exceptional."

Clueless to our presence, I decided to make the most of the situation we were thrown into and took Adelaide's hand in mine as I hastened my pace through the dark pathways of the castle. Biting my lip, I kept racking my brain for an answer to this madness. Even if Merlin managed to escape from Caldwell, Adelaide's life would still be threatened. Whether I liked it or not, this was Adelaide's fight, one that she has to face head on. 

"Gavin and Adrianna should be waiting for us at the end of this passage," I whispered in her ear, feeling her pulse quicken by my close proximity. Adelaide's long dark hair bounced against her shoulders as her bright green eyes connected with mine. In that very moment, nothing could suppress the beauty that was emanating from her already angelic features. How I missed that innocent gleam in her green orbs. 

"Arthur," she mumbled, clutching onto my sleeve as she suddenly brought her lips to mine. Startled by her sudden boldness, I slowly wrapped my arms around her waist as she raked her fingers through my thick strands. Her lips felt like soft pillows against mine as I reciprocated her kiss, our breathing getting quicker and quicker with each passing second.

"Adelaide," I breathed out, my skin igniting like fire with every touch of her palms. Clueless to my weak protests, she gave me one last toe curling kiss, a kiss that made me want to lean her up against the cobbled walls and take her right then and there. "Adelaide!" I groaned, trapping her in between the wall and my large torso. "Your safety is at risk, we need to get to the others before it's too late," I frowned, closing my eyes, trying to dispel the inappropriate images that were ragging inside my vile head. Yet, the only thing that I could seem to focus on was the shape of her deliriously smooth neck and the curve of her supple lips... 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey readers! Long time no see...again. I'M SO SORRY, I'M A TERRIBLE EXCUSE FOR A WRITER. I wanted to update for the longest time but school has had me so stressed and incapable of clearing my writer's block. BUT, I really want to move forward with this story and I still can't believe we hit 10K reads! That's awesome! I love you guys to death! Don't forget to leave a vote and a comment if you liked this chapter <3!

Xoxo,
Natalie