The Hunter

(Unedited, will edit soon)

Chapter 21

"Why are we in a pub again?" Adrianna whispered under her breath, shifting her eyes from side to side.

"You heard him," Gavin whispered back, rolling his eyes in frustration. "Or are you deaf too?" He smirked, amused by the widening of her stunning blue eyes and the scowl that formed on her beautiful lips.

"No, you ass, I'm not deaf. Excuse me for wanting the full picture," She grimaced, crossing her arms together and internally wishing that he'd fall off a cliff somewhere.

"Will you two stop bickering for two seconds?" Arthur loudly whispered, glaring between the two. They didn't need the unwanted attention that they were obviously already getting from random passerby's.

Gavin and Adrianna both stared at one another in displeasure, until they gave in, nodding in unison.

"Sorry...," Adri mumbled, genuinely apologizing for her behavior. Gavin always seemed to bring out the worst in her, even she knew that.

"Before I was so rudely interrupted," Arthur paused, pointedly glaring at the both of them. "I was going to explain the plan."

"Plan? What plan?" Guinevere interjected, not liking where the topic of conversation was going. The longer Adelaide was gone, the better, especially for her.

"The plan to find out where in God's name Caldwell is keeping Adelaide," Arthur breathed out in exasperation, trying to calm his nerves. Whenever it came to Adelaide, he always felt a pain in his heart and an overwhelming urge to hit something. Anything.

"Oh...," Guinevere mumbled, already knowing in her heart that Arthur's infatuation for Adelaide was way more than a mere crush. He loved her...and she loathed it.

"Well, what did you have in mind Captain?" Adrianna smirked, knowing perfectly well what Guinevere's intentions were, at least she thought she did.

"There's a man that works in this specific pub, goes by the name of Alistair," Arthur murmured, making sure that the others wouldn't be able to listen in on their conversation. "He's said to have some connections in....retrieving people you could say," he finished, feeling the rise of tension in the air.

"Retrieving people?" Gavin questioned, his brows furrowing in confusion. He had no idea what Arthur was planning, but for some unknown reason he kept getting an unpleasant feeling about this one.

"Like a hunter of some sort?" Adrianna piped up, her interest peaking in the matter.

"Kind of. Though, that's only what I've heard from the rumor mills, nothing concrete," Arthur replied, looking down as he ringed his hands around the tankard in his palms. In truth, he wouldn't have even brought up this man if they weren't in the dire situation that they were now. Desperate times called for desperate measures, even if his life was at stake. He'd do anything to get Adelaide back, anything.

"Ok...where is this fellow?" Guinevere wondered, looking from her right, to her left.

"He's over there," Arthur nodded in the direction of the bar, towards a man who was busy drying off a metal tankard with a dishrag in hand. There was something about him, something about the way he moved that seemed so precise and thought out, as if he already knew that they came there to receive his council.

"Ooooo! Look at that! I'd say nice arse, but, that'd be too improper for a lady," Adri smirked playfully, loving the look on Gavin's face when her sentence finally sunk in.

"Why you!" He opened and closed his mouth, unable to form the words that were bouncing inside his head. Adrianna always knew how to bring out the devil in him. The devil that wanted her all to himself and no one else, not even this pantywaist of a man called Alistair.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" She quipped, cupping her chin in the palm of her hand as she gazed up at him in pure innocence.

"Shaddap," Gavin scowled, turning his head to the wall, trying to avoid eye contact with the she-devil.

"You guys should stay back, I'll go and talk with Alistair," Arthur smiled a reassuring smile, trying to pretend that he wasn't just about to talk with a man that could or could not help him in saving Adelaide from a potentially psychotic man.

Everyone nodded, understanding what Arthur had to do, but one. Guinevere, who was eyeing Alistair dangerously.

Just as Arthur approached the Hunter, he let out a loud breath of air, trying to calm his racing heart. This had to work, it just had to. Before he could even utter a word, the man held up his hand, lifting his head from behind the bar.

"Well, well, I've been wondering when you were going to show up, Artorious," Alistair smiled, looking up from the stack of cups he was fiddling with. Shock was written all over Arthur's face as his name so effortlessly glided off his tongue.

"You know who I am?" Arthur asked incredulously, knowing perfectly well he'd never met the man before in his life.

"Who you are, what you will be, it's all relative," Alistair laughed, nodding his head as he made his way around the counter.

"Who I will be?" Arthur whispered to himself, thinking the man had gone mad.

"I'm not deranged, if that's what you're thinking," he said, eyeing Arthur from head to toe, smiling to himself. Never in his wildest dreams has he ever had the pleasure of being in a commanding presence such as Arthur's. "But I'll skip the formalities. Let's talk about this Adelaide that keeps running through your mind, hm?" Alistair finished, threading his fingers together. He knew Arthur was going to have a colossal amount of questions for him, yet, he wasn't at liberty to give out the answers to them just yet. Knowing M and all....he'd have his head on a platter if he did.

"A-Adelaide, y-yes," Arthur stuttered, taken aback by Alistair's knowledge. How could he have known about Adelaide when I haven't even mentioned her yet? "I heard you were an expert in retrieving people...," he trailed off, wondering if all he had heard were rumors that held little truth to them. Otherwise, he'd be wasting his time on a man that could do little to help save Adelaide.

"Oh son, of course I can help you save this woman. But, on one condition," he spoke, holding up a single finger.

"Yes, anything!" Arthur answered hastily, his mind too clouded with thoughts of Adelaide to think rationally.

"You have to give me your first born son," Alistair sneered, knowing perfectly well the events he was going to set in motion. Rest in peace little Adelaide, your so called Knight in Shining Armor will save you, but will he save your future too?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hi lovely readers! Gosh I never thought this story would get over 3k....it scares me a little hehe XD Anyways, how'd you feel about this chapter? Did you like it or did you want to strangle Guinevere? Because I do every time I write her ;) If you loved this chapter don't forget to vote and comment! I love reading and replying to you guys :)

Xoxo,
Natalie