-12-

"What do you think you two are doing?"

Justin lighted down on the grassy field and deposited me next to him. Before us stood Commander Abigail Lawson. Her black hair was tightly up in a bun again, pulling at the corners of her eyes. Her blue suit was the same. My eyes were instantly drawn to the keycard on her lanyard. But having it would do me no good without her thumb.

"Nothing, Commander," Justin said, bringing me back to reality. He met her gaze steadily. "Just... a little fun."

"A 'little fun?'" Commander Lawson repeated, crossing her arms. She angled an eyebrow at me. "And you, Agent Hawk... I seem to recall you getting into trouble just—what? Yesterday? Your friends don't seem to be the best of influences on you."

I swallowed.

"It wasn't her fault, Commander," Justin said, taking a step forward. "I forced her into this situation. She didn't come by choice."

No! my mind screamed. Don't take the blame!

"Indeed," the commander responded, as if agreeing. Oh, no. She was buying it. The woman moved her hands to her hips. "I have to admit, when I was tipped off by an agent spending his time loitering in the fields that two agents fell off the side of the base, I doubted his word. But I guess you two are proving his statement."

I bit my lip, wondering if I should say something. Was she going to take us down to floor one or not?

"I would take you to my office, but considering we already have the privacy needed..."

My eyes widened. No...

"Agent Hawk, due to you already having a warning, and also considering that this is the second time this week, I will have to take more serious action this time. From tomorrow until you leave for a station on September the first, you will work with a woman named Dr. Eve and her trainee, Leslie Reyna."

I felt my heart drop.

"I'm sure you recall who Agent Masters is. Because his mentor recently came back, and his clean-up duty, he can no longer help with the research experiments. I'm almost certain you will be a suitable replacement."
I couldn't stop the excuse that rose up. "But-"

"I would appreciate your understanding on this particular assignment. I have heard from reliable sources that you and Agent Reyna don't exactly see eye-to-eye, and I think that your relationship could benefit from this. Also, I think she would be a good influence. Unlike your other comrades." Commander Lawson looked meaningfully towards Justin. "And, you, Agent Loose... you just seem to be a bag full of trouble, don't you? First you steal the prototype air boots, then lure our newest agent into leaping off a flying building with you."

I snuck a glance to the guy. So he had stolen the boots.

Commander Lawson continued, "Once Agent Masters and Agent Peek are done with clean-up duty, you will take up their job for both cafeterias. Until then, you'll help the cafeteria workers with serving the food. And, finally, you'll help decorate for the Summer Sunset Dance, as well as take them down afterwards."

She looked us both in the eye. "Am I understood?"

Justin sighed, nodding. I just stared at her.

"Good. Agent Hawk, I will inform Dr. Eve and Agent Reyna of the new development. Expect to have a work schedule similar to your roommate's from now on. You will work with them all day until Dr. Eve says that you are dismissed. I will be seeing both of you. I expect you to stay out of trouble from now on."