-27-

The next month was when everything went wrong. I was placed in Team Green with Robinson, Watson, Patel, and River. For some reason, the five-person team didn't bother me as much. Maybe it was the victory I had experienced. Or the fact that I knew I was good. Either way, I didn't care.

Robinson and Watson were still a little sore about what happened during the last Trial... figuratively and literally.

The month started out like all the others. It had begun to rain heavily. We rotated chores, jogged through the mud, and worked in the training facility. The instructors introduced a new aspect of being an agent, just like they did every month. Torture.

It was disturbing and against my conscience to learn about it, but I knew it was necessary. On the Friday of the first week, though, things changed. As everyone in the cabin began waking up at the usual time, Tiago suddenly came in.

"Everyone up, NOW!"

I instantly stood to attention. Everyone else did the same.

Get changed into the clothes your instructors provide. Pack your things. You have exactly zero minutes."

Questions blared in my mind. This was totally out of protocol. But I quickly began piling my stuff in my suitcase and backpack. I clipped the canteen and flashlight in place. Martinez dropped a pair of cargo pants on my bed, as well as a black T-shirt, black jacket, and a belt with... a G.U.A.R.D. clasp?

"But we're not even trainees yet," Moffett said, gazing at her own belt.

"Just change!" Tiago told us.

I quickly stripped down and pulled on the new clothes. They were fresh, crisp. Not knowing what we were doing, I put on my seashell necklace just in case, then swung my backpack on, and grabbed the handle of my suitcase. Not a minute later, everyone else was ready.

Tiago nodded. "Let's go."

Without another word of explanation, the man strode out of the cabin and into the daylight. I felt my stomach rumble from hunger, but ignored it.

"What's going on?" Robinson asked Martinez.

"Just follow the head instructor," she responded.

The teams left in order. Team Red, then Team Yellow, then us, with the Blues not far behind. Outside, we started out on a hike. I belt my brow descend. This was the same direction we came when we first arrived. With our new clothes, the G.U.A.R.D. clasps... were we going back to civilization?

"Something must have happened at the bases," I whispered, half to myself.

Tim, who was on Team Blue, looked back at me. He quickened his pace and walked side-by-side with my steps.

"You think so?" he asked me.

"No other explanation. We're going back."

"Why would they want a bunch of recruits to help them with a problem at the bases?"

I shrugged. "Maybe we're the closest ones to the problem."
We were a lot fitter and capable than when we first arrived. We made it to the drop-off point in half the time. Four vans waited.

"All teams go together," Tiago ordered us. "Instructors, explain on the way."

I went in the van with Team Green after putting away my luggage in the back. We were up in the air in almost no time, just a line of four flying vans. When we were at a safe altitude, Martinez pressed a few buttons.

"Lisa, take over."

I almost jumped when the computer's voice came out of the speakers: "Yes, Agent Martinez."