Chapter 2

E

Noah's POV

How on earth is this possible? Two mates?

I focus in on her voice but only catch the end of her speech.

"-consider over the options."

She's unaware of my inner turmoil. What do I say to Heather? How will she react? What does this mean for my pacts future? What does this mean for mine? For theirs?

She leans over and places a paper on my desk. The closer she is the more my insides want to turn inside out to transform into my wolf. I feel the burning sensation of my nails beginning to thicken and elongate. My teeth growing and sharping.

She seems to notice and my change and slowly raises her shaking hands "Have I offended you?"

Her wide eyes connect with mine and I force myself to slow then stop the changes.

She backs away from me slowly and moves towards the door. I rise from my chair and hold a hand out. "You have not, please sit."

"Look, I didn't mean to bother you or anything, I can just go" her voice trembles slightly. As soon as I make a slight movement she turns and runs to the door.

I feel panic slam into me at full speed. Hopping over the desk I hit the ground running. I run out the door just as I see her turn the next corner. My speed picks up as I round the corner seeing her sprinting down the long hall.

Just as she's about to reach the secretary's foyer I reach out and grab her arm bringing us to a sudden stop to turn her around. She inhales for what I'm expecting would be an incoming scream but she holds it as confusion then recognition crosses her face.

"Mate" she whispers.

I close my eyes and bow my head. The tingles running through my body due to the physical contact are the same tingles I felt when I met Heather.

I slid my hand down her arm to her warm hand and the tingles exhilarate. We speed walk quietly back to my office, with her staring at me the whole way.

As soon as the office door shuts she smiles wide and wraps her arms around my neck. "Why didn't you say we were mates? You scared the crap out of me" she laughs, pressing even closer to me.

I smile "Sorry, I was in a daze for a bit. When I snapped out of it you were running."

She pulls back and her hands go to my face, her eyes staring into mine. "Who would have thought today would be the day I meet you. Mates always seemed like this distant thing that only happens to lucky people." 

Before I could say anything she presses her lips on mine. The sensation is nothing short of amazing and I find myself getting lost in her depths. This whole moment feels bittersweet. She's my mate, so does kissing her means I'm cheating on both her and Heather?

I pull back resting my forehead on hers. A mass of conflicting thoughts and feelings coursing through me but all that bubbles to the surface is a laugh.

"What's so funny?" she giggles. Her hands are still running through my hair, calming me.

"I don't even know your name."

She pauses "We sort of skipped a lot of formalities huh?"

I nod "We did"

I take her hand bringing her to my desk and sitting her in one of the chair while I take the other. We both scoot to the edge and play with each others hands. 

"It's Lilian, but I go by Lily. I moved into town a couple of weeks ago."

"That would explain why I don't recognize you. You haven't registered to be in the pact yet. Though  I don't know how I haven't noticed you sooner. I've been feeling off the last couple of weeks and now I know it's because my unregistered mate was just milling around town." I trace her smile with my thumb.  

"Yeah I've been meaning to get in touch with the alpha. Had I done that I definitely would have bumped into you sooner when being introduced to the pact."

I furrow my brows slightly "Do you know my status in the pact?"

She shakes her head no "The pacts financial adviser?" she guesses.

I chuckle "You don't do research before coming into a new area?" I don't wait for her answer because it was an obvious no "I run the pack. I'm the packs alpha."

A range of expressions colour her face until she said "Oh" she breathes out a laugh running her hands through her hair. "That's going to take time to process. So what's an alpha doing running a business?"

"Part of my duty is to meet the financial needs of my pact. The business has ran in the family for years so I'm continuing it."

She nods "Makes sense" she tucks the strand of hair that fell out of place when my hands were running through it. That's when I actually take complete notice of her attire.

"You're a janitor here?" I ask.

Her eyes dart to the paper on my desk. The paper she put in front me when was explaining something "What was it you came up here for again?" I tried to remember if I had any meetings with a janitor.

"Don't worry about it." she says dismissively, her cheeks tinting pink. I stretch to get the paper but she turns my face towards her. 

"When will I meet your pack?" The distraction works and I feel nervousness build in me.

"Soon enough, but I want you to meet someone first" I said biting my lip, causing her to look at it. I smiled and raised her chin a bit to maintain eye contact.

She returns the smile "Your parents?"

"You'll see when you get there" I said trying to contain my nerves. "I just need to do a couple of things first."

"Okay, it's no problem."

That will be the last thing on her mind when I introduce her to Heather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C&S&V