Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Phir Se Mulaqaat

KRISH HAD LOST HIS MIND. He was sure of it. Why else would he keep returning to that tiny sweet shop in Chandni Chowk? Why else would he spend his lunch break there, eating what felt like twice his body weight in sugary sweets? Whatever the reason was, it definitely wasn't because of a pair of honey doe eyes or a sweet smile or silky dark tresses or pink lips or tinkling bangles or. . .

And then, like what had been happening everyday lately, Krish would get wrapped up in his thoughts of a certain gulab jamun-eating angel.

He'd sit in that sweet shop way more often than he'd like to admit, perhaps with a cup of chai and jalebi, depending on his mood. He would sit right in the corner by the window, where he'd get a perfect view of said angel, shyly twirling a lock of hair around her finger and avoiding his gaze. 

By now he had been here so many times that he had even eavesdropped on conversations. It was rather easy, considering he'd arrive a little bit before noon, when the shop was fairly quiet. 

He learned that at this time Asmara would take a lunch break while her friend Ghasi took the reins on his own. She'd sit at the counter by the cash register with what seemed to be some sort of book. She held a pencil in her henna-painted hands, and she would run the edge of its tip across the pages, looking up every now and then, her teeth gnawing at her lip.  Between the secretive glances, sometimes they accidentally made eye contact and Asmara would blush, ducking her head and quickly looking away.

With these thoughts, Krish was here now, sitting in this exact spot for the umpteenth time, wondering if he was going to die from a sugar-induced coma. But he felt better when he reminded himself that Asmara's stunning face was sweeter than any amount of sugar. 

He had just ordered his chai and was now sipping it as slowly as possible to prolong his stay. Suddenly, a thought occurred to him about his ladies' man younger cousin.

What was it Yuvi said? Don't pay any attention to a girl you like, I think. Krish frowned, rubbing the back of his neck. As soon as you stop paying attention, they'll come after you. Girls like attitude.

Krish shook his head. Ghatiya aadmi, ghatiya ideas. [Cheap man, cheap ideas.] But does it work? I guess it's worth a shot.

Though a Herculean effort, Krish spent the rest of the time - what, twenty, thirty minutes? (He had never been great at keeping track of time) - looking anywhere but at Asmara. He wondered if she had noticed, wondered if they would ever speak, wondered if they would ever get past looking at each other from across the room.

Luckily, the heavens seemed to take pity on Krish's plight. 

The phone rang suddenly, a shrill BRIIIING! resonating through the shop. Ghasi had disappeared into the back room, so Asmara answered the phone, shut her book quickly, and tucked it under her arm. Deciding it was okay, Krish watched her discreetly, though avoiding her face. She was nodding vigorously and scribbling something down on a notepad, murmuring "Haanji. Ji, theek hai. Ji. [Yes. Yes, alright. Yes.]

Grabbing some sort of foil box, Asmara hung up the phone and bolted out the door, the wind chimes hanging off the doorframe signaling her departure with twinkling sounds. The thick brown book she had been writing in earlier slipped from her hands.

Krish immediately jumped up, tried to stop her. But she was long gone. 

He picked up the book. Checked his watch. He'd return it tomorrow, he thought.

...

 BEFORE LONG, IT WAS EVENING TIME. The Raichands gathered all together in the family room, waiting for the cooks under Daijaan and Anjali's expertise to finish making dinner. 

Krish and Yuvi sat on the couch in front of the plasma screen TV, casually chatting and typing away on their laptops. The elders sat in chairs as they discussed. Rohan and Rahul played cards, and Pooja was letting her new manicure dry. Basically, everything was normal.

Well, except Krish. After he had reached home, he had been unable to resist the temptation and opened up Asmara's book. And he couldn't stop thinking about what he had found in there. 

Both Krish's musings and the pre-dinner chatter were interrupted by the ring of a buzzer. Krish got up to check the matter. After all, everyone was way too preoccupied with their current activities.

Pressing the button of the intercom, Krish spoke into it. "Hello?"

"Hello? Krish babu?" came the nervous voice of Ramesh, one of the Raichand mansion's guards. 

"Ji Ramesh, main Krish hoon. Kaun hai darwaaza pe? [Yes Ramesh, I'm Krish. Who's at the door?] " Krish frowned in confusion. They weren't expecting any guests right now, as far as he knew. 

"Ji, maaf kardo, Krish babu. Lekin koi gori memsaab aayi hai. Woh aap ke liye pooch rahe hai. [Forgive me, Krish sir. But some white lady is here. She is asking for you.]"

"Gori memsaab? [White lady?]" Krish repeated, baffled. "Ek second, wahan ruko. Main aa raha hoon. [One second, wait there. I'm coming.]" He took his finger off the button.

As he walked through the winding corridors of his home, Krish mumbled to himself. "Gori memsaab? Iss waqt? Aur mere liye pooch rahe hai? Kya musibaat hai, yaar! [White lady? At this time? And asking for me? What a problem, man!]"

Reaching the gate, Krish was greeted by Ramesh, who was smiling hesitantly. He motioned towards the outside of the gate. And sure enough, a gorgeous young white woman was standing there in an elegant yet casual short white dress, which was stunning against her tan. The dress was both short and sleeveless, revealing a good amount of skin and showing off a toned, curvaceous physique. She was rather tall, with never-ending legs and clicking heels. She had bright blond hair, reaching past her shoulders in soft waves. It suited her. Her eyes were dramatic and dark and her lips red, her smile seductive.

Her expression brightened when she saw him. 

"Krish, is that you?" The woman spoke with a heavy yet lovely British accent. She gave him a big smile, revealing perfectly aligned white teeth. "It's me! Annette! Annette Sprightley, from London!"

Krish's jaw dropped. Eyes widened. 

"A-Annette?"

...

Kind of a filler chapter, not so great. But I hope you enjoyed. And Ramadan Mubarak to all those who celebrate! I myself am being tortured in school because here I am starving, thirsty, and exhausted lol. I shouldn't complain though, it's totally worth it. ;)

Wish me luck for my final exams! They start Tuesday. I decided to finish up this chapter to battle stress. Was it okay? 

More about Annette in the next chapter! And the Raichand family's reactions to her arrival, of course. 😂 Priya will arrive soon enough, but not just yet. And we will hear more from Yuvi eventually. We've been hearing a lot about Asmara. Little bit more of her in the next chapter, then she'll take a bit of a backseat, probably. It's going to focus on the brothers a bit more, with their family's commentary and advice XD

Also I just wanted to thank you all for the comments, reads, and votes! I didn't imagine I'd get so many. Thank you so much, it means a real lot. You guys make me really happy!

:D

- Meenal.