Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Hungama

RAHUL CLEARED HIS THROAT AWKWARDLY. He studied the two boys in front of him.

Krish was deep in thought, a faraway look in his eyes as he fidgeted with his fingers, hands settled in his lap under the mahogany dining table. Yuvi, on the other hand, looked as disinterested as usual, fingers tapping away at his phone.

Rahul cleared his throat again. Krish's eyes shot up. Yuvi sighed and gave Rahul a look of pure boredom.

"So I take it that you've made no progress in the bride search?"

The silence was deafening.

Krish cringed, ready for his father to launch another angry tirade. But instead, the man looked thoughtful.

Rahul rubbed the back of his neck tiredly. Contrary to his usual train of thought, he wasn't angry. He wasn't exactly happy with the lack of progress, but he was far from angry.

At least he's done with that Priya girl.

Rahul had always prided himself on his acceptance. He was an open-minded man, never one to let appearances deceive him. After all, he married and brought the Chandni Chowk-dwelling Anjali into the high-society world of his family. He was not judgemental.

But he also followed his intuition. And it was telling him that Priya Kapoor was not to be trusted. So now that it seemed like Krish had broken it off with her, Rahul would take the chance to celebrate.

"Alright," he said after what felt like eons had ticked by. "But I am serious, Krish."

Krish didn't react, and Rahul was determined to get his message through his son's thick skull.

"You have till my birthday," he said in a voice so soft that Krish nearly strained to hear. "I will be announcing your wedding. Find a bride. Or I will."

Krish walked down the enormous staircase, exhaling a breath he hadn't even known he was holding. Shock, nervousness, and worry ate away at his insides.

It wasn't like he hadn't known Rahul was planning to announce his wedding this soon. He had sensed it all along. And not only Rahul - Anjali, Rohan, Pooja, Daijaan, everybody - talked in hushed whispers around him. He was sure of it.

But now that there was a true deadline set in stone for him, well, everything felt more real.

It was these thoughts that were racking at his exhausted brain when he bumped into a familiar figure. He could feel his heartbeat all the way up in his ears.

"P-Priya?" He resented the stutter that escaped his lips.

"Hey, Krish." The woman in question stood in front of him, and he was sure he had never seen such a powerful aura on any woman. Her black leather skirt was shining under the magnificent crystal chandelier, the gloss of her cherry-red painted lips glinting. She rubbed said lips together.

"Can we talk?" Her usually-sharp voice had softened considerably today. Krish nodded wordlessly, taking a seat at the bottom of the staircase. Priya smoothed her skirt down meticulously before joining him.

Heart pounding and palms sweating, Krish avoided her gaze, instead planting his eyes on the ground.

Priya sighed. "Look, Krish. About those things I said -"

Krish's face shot up, catching her off guard. She looked down, a guilty expression painting her features.

"I'm sorry, okay? It's just -" She stopped for a moment before sighing again. "I guess, after my dad left, I just have trouble opening up to people."