Chapter 2

Ever since meeting Taehyung in the library, the idea of joining choir had been implanted in my mind, refusing to leave me alone. It was the annoying song stuck in my head, only without music or lyrics. It tinged me with hope of falling back in love with the one thing I had adored before I had ceased to love anything.

Singing had been my forte for as long as I could remember. I used to always make the top choirs, get all of the solos, and be constantly complimented about my voice. It had been my sole sense of belonging, but then my father had been murdered freshman year.

It had felt like a vacuum had sucked all the love from my heart. I no longer enjoyed the things that I used to, including singing, and choir then had promptly dropped from my schedule sophomore year. Singing was not something I wanted to do anymore.

But hearing Taehyung talk about it reignited old flames. It was a new school, anyways. No one would know who I used to be. It could be a fresh start, a way to find a place to belong again, which was apparently something I desperately needed. So far, I was on speaking terms with only two people, and that was a little more than slightly disheartening.

And that was why I was stood outside the choir room, too afraid to enter or peek in the window.

What was there to say? Ask if it was too late to audition? It was three weeks into the school year, so I doubted that I could join, but something kept me standing at the door.

I didn't know what it was, but then I heard it.

I heard Taehyung singing.

He had a velvety baritone voice, one that could weave between my ribs and steal my heart away. I felt lightheaded just hearing it through a door, and I wondered what the effect would be up close. He sang a melancholy tune in a minor key, and it tugged at my heartstrings just to faintly hear it. My mind was filled with darkness and hopelessness, and I found myself pressed up against the door, my short nails scratching at the wood. Despite the unpleasant feelings it instilled within me, I wanted to hear more.

My hand went for the metallic doorknob. It was cool under my skin, and my fingers wrapped around it with desire. I had to get in the choir room to hear him sing more.

Taehyung stopped singing, and I felt clarity flood me once more. Suddenly, I realized that I was creeping, and I remembered where I was. It was like being dunked in a bucket of ice water, and I felt like my mind had been restored from whatever daze I had been in.

What am I doing? I wondered incredulously, staring at my hand on the doorknob. I can't go in!

I retracted my hand quickly, backing away from the door in gaping horror. Turning around, I started down the hallway at a fast-paced walk that eventually morphed into a run. He could not find me lurking around. What had gotten into me?

I rounded a corner and stopped to rest, since I hadn't run in so long. It seemed to be the athletics hallway, which was ironic, as I rested my hand on a caged locker filled with smelly running shoes and clothes. I bent over and put one hand on my knee, panting, trying to revive my lungs.

"Damn, baby, I like the view," called out a voice behind me.

I whirled around, my cheeks burning. Standing in front of me were a pack of boys, maybe twelve of them, all in workout clothes. Between the dozen of them, I spied about four pairs of track pants, seven tank tops, and six basketball shorts, and of course, twelve pairs of expensive-looking name brand basketball shoes. They were all quite muscular and heavily built, with muscles bulging from every curve in their body. I gaped at all of them, unable to respond. It was quite a sight to behold.

The one who had spoken, the one leading the pack, approached me, his friends trailing behind him menacingly. He was the tallest of the group, with sharp, jagged features and cold eyes. From his height, he easily glared down at me, like I was inferior. Carefully-styled dark brown hair sat atop his head, and he studied me like how a supermodel scanned a worse-dressed rival.