Chapter 10

"Happy birthday!"

My eyes snapped wide open, and I woke up to see an ethereal boy sitting on top of my dresser, his white wings spread wide. I let out a loud scream, inciting an equally-shrill one from the angel boy, and he tumbled off the dresser and landed with a soft thud. Immediately, I heard footsteps clambering up the stairs, and door was flung open.

"What happened?" Mom had a wild look in her eyes, and she panted heavily.

I peered over the bed where Jimin had landed. There was no sign of him. It was like he had evaporated.

"N-Nothing," I replied. "Just had a bad dream."

I felt her deflate in relief. "Okay," she said. "Happy birthday, by the way! I have something special for breakfast."

"Alright, thanks!" I smiled brightly at her, and the door closed again.

"Why did you scream?" Jimin reappeared, lounging on top of my armoire. "I'm not that scary, am I?"

"Why are you in my room?" I hissed. "What if I slept naked?!"

Jimin rolled his eyes. "I know you don't," he replied cheekily. "And even if you did, it wouldn't affect me. I witnessed your birth, remember?"

My face flushed red.

"Which happened to be eighteen years ago!" he added cheerily.

I chucked the pillow at him. "Leave!" I groaned. "I need to change!"

Just like that, Jimin evaporated into thin air with a flash of soft light, nearly blinding me in the process.

I shook the shock from my head and proceeded to get ready, washing up and changing into a cozy sweater and dark skinny jeans. When I got downstairs, my mother had already prepared a breakfast of kimbap and doenjang. I gulped down the food as well as the birthday wish from her. She promised me a cake for dinner's dessert because she had to go to work, and I nodded cheerfully before she kissed me goodbye.

My phone buzzed as I left the house to go shopping.

Taehyung: Happy Birthday!❤️

Sori: Thank you!

Taehyung: Are you doing anything special today?

Sori: Not really. Just going shopping, and then I'm gonna eat dinner with my mom.

Taehyung: Then I'll take you out for lunch! My treat!

It was a date. We were meeting at a restaurant between both of our apartments, and so at noon, I was sitting at a table by myself and on my phone, scrolling through social media. People paid me no attention as they went on their paths for the day, and I was content where I was, with my chin propped up on my fist.

"Sori-ah!" I lifted my head to see Taehyung pulling up the chair in front of me. He picked up a slick menu with his fingers and beamed at me as he leafed through it. "Happy birthday!"

You too, said Jimin from inside my head. I flinched ever so slightly. Say it.

What? Why? I thought, perplexed. Is it...?

Just say it! Jimin insisted. Do it.

"Thank you!" I said aloud with a gracious smile. "You too?"

Taehyung raised his eyebrows. "How did you know it's my birthday?" he asked.

"Oh... Someone just told me," I answered, surprised. "Taehyung, you never mentioned that we have the same birthday!"