Chapter 4

"What do you mean, 'you went on a date?!'" Jimin screeched. A group of students clustered in the desks near us turned around and glared at him. Immediately, he leaned in and lowered his tone. "Are you crazy? After I warned you?"

"He wasn't bad at all!" I protested. "Some athletes locked me in the janitor's closet, and he saved me, so I agreed to go on a date with him."

"Athletes?" Jimin groaned and buried his face in his hands. He let out a high-pitched squeal of annoyance. "This just keeps getting better and better. Why didn't you call me? I could've helped you!"

"You'd already gone home!" I exclaimed in protest. "It would've taken you ten minutes to get to school, and honestly, do you think that you can take on the varsity team?"

Jimin scoffed. "Maybe I do," he shot back, before realization hit him. "Wait--how did Taehyung save you?"

I shrugged. "He just convinced them to," I replied nonchalantly. "It was weird, but I guess they respect the class president."

Jimin studied me for a few seconds before looking away.

"Alright, alright," he said. "At least you're safe. But please, in the future, stay away from Taehyung. I'm begging you."

"Why?" I implored. "What's so wrong with him?"

Jimin remained quiet for a second, sucking his bottom lip as he thought. His eyes seemed troubled, though I just couldn't understand why. Was it so bad that he couldn't tell me a single reason?

"What happened on the date?" he asked finally. "Anything weird?"

"Nothing happened, so don't worry," I answer. "It was fun, honestly."

"But did he ask you anything about yourself?"

I furrowed my brow. "Yeah, I think so," I ventured. "He asked me about my childhood with the ocean or something, and then he asked me what I was, which was a weird question. He never clarified what that meant."

Jimin's eyes widened. "No, no, no, Sori," he worried. "Could you please avoid him? You really have to this time, I mean it. Honestly, why are you like this? Why do you have to make me repeat myself over and over? Can't you just listen to me?"

"What do you have against him?" I demanded. "Are you jealous or something? I don't listen because I genuinely just can't see what you see, so I might as well find out myself!"

"No!" he retorted indignantly. "I just... don't trust him at all. Neither should you."

I crossed my arms and huffed. We stared each other down for a few seconds, both trying to be the more persuasive one, but Jimin wasn't going to get to me. I didn't see what was so bad about Taehyung, and if there really was something wrong, I'd have to learn that lesson for myself. But in the meantime, I'd plow on through to try to prove him wrong. I exhaled through my nose and blew a strand of hair from my face before breaking our standoff.

"And what if I like him?"

All the color drained from Jimin's already-pale face. His eyes widened, and his mouth dropped open, so far that I thought his jaw would unhinge. Immediately, he lunged forward and clasped my hands in his, which were surprisingly warm.

"Please tell me you're kidding," he gasped. "God, help us."

"What?" I tore my hands from his. "Jimin, can you please explain why you hate Taehyung so much?"