Chapter 28

Lapis strode out of class deciding not to talk to Peridot and head straight to her detention. It was in a room on the other side of the school and she couldn't afford to be late. The teacher running it was very strict about timing, she had learnt that the hard way last year. Lapis had been busy all day, homework was currently weighing her down and if she didn't start studying soon, she was sure to fail her exams which could potentially lose her a place in her dream university.

A while ago she had been pulled out of her drama class and told she needed to work harder in class if she wanted a good future. She hadn't told Peridot yet, she didn't know why it hadn't really crossed her mind.

She entered the room with a small frown on her face. This wasn't her first detention and certainly wasn't going to be her last. Lapis sat down at the back and rest her bag next to her chair in case she needed to get out anything. Sometimes the teacher would make them do homework or write essays. Or they would just make the students sit there in silence, one peep out of anyone and the time was extended. Lapis didn't mind the silence though, it gave her time to think.

After a couple of minutes of sitting in her chair, she leant back with her feet resting on the desk before the teacher finally walked in. Lapis set her feet down and shuffled towards the desk. The teacher didn't do anything, just sat down at the desk at the front of the classroom and picked up a book. Lapis smirked and leant back in her chair once again, arms crossed against her chest.

Surprisingly there weren't a lot of students in the room today, only two people Lapis didn't recognise, one had long brown hair and tan skin, and the other short black hair and was very pale, and finally, there was Jasper.

Lapis closed her eyes and found herself settling her head into the desk, using her arms as a pillow as she closed her eyes.

- - -

A knock sounded from downstairs which made Lapis look up from her computer. She was currently working on her media studies homework, storyboarding her short animation to present to the class. It was going surprisingly well considering Lapis had never used this software before. She stood up from her chair and ran down the stairs as another, more urgent knocking came from the door.

"Calm down I'm here, I'm here!" She yelled, making the noise stop abruptly.

Sighing, Lapis grabbed her keys and unlocked the door. Peridot was standing on her doorstep in her usual baggy green hoodie and jeans. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun, something Lapis had never seen before. It honestly looked adorable. She had little freckles dotted around her forehead, something you wouldn't see because of Peridot's messy blonde hair that gets in the way of everything. Lapis didn't realise she was staring until she saw Peridot blush and wave a tiny hand in front of her face. She blinked and stepped aside for the smaller girl to enter, muttering a quiet apology as she passed.