Chapter 38

Lapis stood by the front door of her house, dressed in a dark blue tank top and a pair of shorts. A towel was draped over her shoulder and a backpack hung from her arm and as she sat down on the front porch, staring down at this road in front of her. It was relatively quiet on her street and though it was peaceful at times, it could he a little unnerving.

Whenever a car drove past her house, she looked up, hopeful to see a familiar freckled face and shining green eyes. But alas, they never stopped in front of her house, whizzing past as shiny metal blurs. Lapis was beginning to think Peridot had abandoned her until her phone buzzed from inside her pocket. She slid it out and unlocked it. It was Peridot. A wave of relief washed over Lapis as she read the text.

Peridot: On my way now! Sorry for the wait, I got caught up on something <3

Lapis' lips twitched upwards as she started typing up a response.

Lapis: its okay Peri!! I can't wait to see you again. Miss u

Peridot: It's been like, a day, Lapis.

Peridot: Anyways, see you in ten.

Chuckling under her breath, Lapis put her phone way and began humming to herself as she waited.

And, just as she predicted, ten minutes later a familiar old car pulled up in front of Lapis' house. She stood up, stretching her tired legs and pulling her bag onto her shoulder as she walked up to Peridot's car and pulled open the door. She got in, doing up her seatbelt and kissing Peridot on the cheek as a greeting, which her girlfriend gratefully returned.

"I missed you" Lapis mumbled through one of the kisses.

Peridot laughed and started up her car once again. After a quick peck on the nose she turned back onto the road and started towards the beach.

"Do you think you're gonna go swimming this time?" The blue haired girl asked, playing with the seatbelt between her fingers.

Peridot's smile faltered for a second. She sighed under her breath. "I can't. My leg" she replied bluntly.

"Oh" Lapis paused, unsure of what to say. She noticed Peridot was wearing shorts again. The sight made her heart leap. She was so proud of her little nerd. But swimming, she knew, was gonna be a big step. If she had to wait a little longer then she'd wait a little longer.

A lingering question made its way into Lapis' brain but she stopped herself before she opened her mouth to ask. She knew it would be a touchy subject and she don't want to ruin this seemingly perfect day.

The rest of the drive was left in semi comfortable silence which neither wanted to break. Peridot was busy driving, eyes glued to the road. Lapis opted to stare at the sky, watching as the white clouds passed them. The sky was so bright today, Lapis thought happily.

When the car finally stopped at a carpark near the beach, Lapis finally looked over to her girlfriend. They kissed briefly again before getting out of the car and getting all of their things ready. Peridot had brought herself a blanket and a bag full of snacks and books for her to read. She'd also brought money, insisting she pay for anything Lapis needed. Lapis was silently grateful because she'd forgotten to pack her own money. Not that she really had any.

Lapis decided to walk barefoot when they reached the sand. It felt nice between her toes. The beach was like her second home at this point and it was nice that she'd now be sharing it with the person she cared about the most. Peridot had brought flip flops which were obviously too big for her feet and flopped around awkwardly as she walked. Lapis had made a comment and Peridot countered it by announcing she had converse in her bag for when they walked over to the arcade or when they wanted food that wasn't just snacks.

They found a nice spot in a quiet corner and set camp there. Peridot laid down her blankets, slipped off her footwear and picked out a book from her bag. She set it down and looked up at lapis. The tanned girl sat down next to her and wrapped Peridot's smaller frame in her arms.

"I want to stay with you" she mumbled into Peridot's shoulder. "What food have you got in your bag?"

Peridot's shoulders rose and fell as she chuckled and leant forward to snatch her bag and pull it forward. She unzipped it and peered inside. She pulled out three boxes of shop bought sandwiches, some tuna and sweetcorn pasta, and two packets of doritos, nacho cheese and chili heatwave. Lapis' eyes lit up at the sight and grabbed one of the sandwiches to inspect what was inside.

"I didn't know what you preferred so I guessed" she shrugged and fiddled with the lid of the pasta.

"Its okay, I'm not picky" Lapis ripped open the packaging and took a hearty bite out of the sandwich.

Peridot snorted.

Lapis tried not to choke on her mouthful of sandwich.

Ah, sorry this is so short I'm gonna try and write as much as I can this weekend and post more chapters during the week. Next chapter will probably have more flashbacks (concerning peridot's leg) and more cute fluff :) I plan to finish this book asap so I can work on other things.

Can we get this to 2k votes, guys?? (I love you all sm)

(Edited)