Chapter Eight: Christmas Party

The next few months were pretty busy for the Horsemen. Tressler was willing to help them set up their big show dates, but they needed to have a few different shows under their belt, more smaller shows to get their name known to the public. Their first one being a Christmas Business Party for some big company associated with Tressler. They each planned a few basic tricks, but nothing crazy.

Come December 21st, the group stood in their dressing room and Carly looked at everyone's matching outfits. Black bases with red and gold accents, either in coats or vests, or for Merritt his fedora had a poinsettia pinned. They actually looked like a well put together group, despite being together for less than a year.

The audience applauded when they entered the room, taking their places on the stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Daniel Atlas," Daniel started them off, waving to the crowd.

"I'm Henley Reeves."

"Merritt McKinney, at your service."

"Jack Wilder."

"And I'm Carly Contrary," Carly says with a giant grin on her face.

"And we are the Five Horsemen," They all say in much practiced unison.

"Tonight we will be doing a series of tricks, individually and in pairs. Being this is our first 'show' we don't have a ton of practice doing a full group trick," Daniel says and gets a small laugh from the crowd. "To start us off, we have the talented, the mysterious, and most importantly - the beautiful, Henley Reeves."

Daniel sure knew how to work a crowd but that didn't stop the jealousy from invading Carly's heart at that introduction. Henley moves to center stage and starts her act talking to the audience getting them pumped for what's to come. Jack walks off the stage to get something and comes back with a straight jacket.

"For my individual trick I will be in this straight jacket and have one minute to get out while bouncing between these trampolines," Henley explains

Daniel and Merritt carry two trampolines on stage and set them about 6 feet apart.

"If I do not succeed my colleagues will pull the trampolines farther apart and I will obviously fall to the ground. Possibly, injuring myself in the process," She says. "Now it's not as risky as what I'm used to, but I can't exactly bring a piranha tank to an office party."

Henley gets a few uneasy laughs, as she gets into the straight jacket and kicks off her heels before getting onto a trampoline. As always she got out of the straight jacket with ease flipping between the trampolines. That throws the crowd in a round of applause.

Jack went next; he had the other horseman stand at different points in front of the stage holding up targets. For his trick he was to throw his cards at the target and hit the center. First he threw at Merritt's which was the closest to the stage. Then Carly's which was farther stage left, and then Henley's who was stage right. For the last target he had Carly blindfold him. The blonde then placed her hands on his hips and angled him in the right direction, right towards Daniel who stood the farthest away, but even at this distance Carly could see his glare. Jack then lifts his arm and lets the card fly out of his hand. The room was thick with tension as the card flew above the crowd and then hit Daniel's target dead center, earning an even louder applause.

The rest of the show when smoothly, Carly did some nifty card illusions, Daniel did normal slight of hand while he talked with the audience, and Merritt hypnotized a few select people so that whenever their heard "Merry Christmas" they'd do an Irish Jig. They all went on to do a few partner tricks they had practiced to make them seem more like a working group rather than five separate magicians. By the end, the crowd was in love and they took their bows.

*~*

Back at the apartment, everyone was reeling about how good the night went especially with their first show and everything. It was also nice for everyone to finally learn more about the others specialties and see it in action with a live audience. When they entered the apartment, everyone could smell the food Jae was preparing, but an extra person sitting at the dinner table is what caught their attention. She had graying hair with purple highlights and wore purple and green patterned pants with a green blouse, and lots of flower themed accessories.

"Carly!" Jae's mother squeals and runs up to the blonde, giving her a big hug. "Oh how I've missed you. I see you brought friends."

"Marigold! What are you doing in New York?" Carly asks and eyes her roommate who just smiles sheepishly.

"I have a book signing downtown, so I thought I'd come visit," Marigold explains. "Oh and I brought a friend of my own too!"

The bathroom door opens and out walks a women with dark brown hair and wearing comfortable jeans with a stylish blouse and gold jewelry.

"Hello Carly," She says with a smile. "It's been too long."

The women hugs the blond girl who reluctantly hugs back.

"Hi... mom."