SEVEN [ PART II. ]

vii. part ii.

  —HESTIA'S every thought revolved around Thomas May

—HESTIA'S every thought revolved around Thomas May. The way he laughed, the way he talked, the way he loved others. Her heart sung with Aphrodite's doves, it leapt at his every glance.

Hestia had fallen in love.

And he hadn't in return.

Thomas May had another woman in his life. Hestia couldn't have him, because his heart belonged to another.

And she respected that. She refused all offers Aphrodite had made to give her. Her niece was far too ecstatic to learn of the woman's change of heart after she had sworn off all men, but was let down when discovering Hestia would never force Thomas to love her.

She knew of the harsh ways that life worked. Hestia got to see it everyday. The homeless who sought out the warmth of her fire in dark alcoves, the helpless who prayed to whoever would listen, the ones who felt like there was nothing left for them. Hestia has seen hardships beyond belief. This one was just one that she would endure.

Thomas' lover had become pregnant eight months prior. Hestia was given the role of doula, or someone who offered support before, during and after childbirth. The goddess gladly took part in whatever she could. If Thomas May was happy, she was too.

Which is what led her to a very difficult decision to make.

Thomas' lover had not made it through labor, leaving him utterly devastated. And it seemed the baby was fading fast as well. The doctors had said the baby girl probably would not make it to the 48 hour mark, and unfortunately for Thomas ( and Hestia as well, as the man was very upset ), it was nearing that time.

Hestia did her best not to look at the newborn baby, in fear that she would do something drastic. But the goddess could only last so long. Her eyes drifted over to the center of the room. The girl was hooked up to an incubator, the only support for her breathing. The gentle rise and fall of her chest ... it made Hestia fall in love all over again, something that seemed impossible after her unrequited love for Thomas.

The little baby's head was covered in a little beanie, but Hestia knew that she had no hair underneath anyway. Hestia also knew that beneath her closed little eyelids there would be a pair of blue-green eyes. Exactly like Thomas. She would have grown to have her mother's hair, platinum blonde, along with her button nose. And the smile, well the smile would belong to Thomas.

She looked over at the sleeping man, dry tear stains tainting his cheeks. He didn't deserve this. Not this fate.

Hestia's hand traced the keypad on the incubator, making sure she was absolutely sure of her choice. Her fingers pressed two buttons on the pad before it unlocked. Her hand reached out and lifted the glass lid.

Now the sound of the baby's ragged breathing were distinct, and it only made Hestia's eyes water. The infant was so delicate, so pure.

If she did this, she couldn't see Thomas again. Never in person, that is. She'd always be watching over him. No matter what. But this child, she would make her Thomas a happy man. He would love her and she would love him. Hestia believed he deserved nothing less.

The goddess leaned over and gently placed her lips upon the baby girl's forehead.

For a second, the baby's lungs and heart stilled, before a slight golden glow washed over the pale skin of the newborn. The small child took her first breath of life on her own and the incubator was no longer needed.

Hestia looked around. She walked over to Thomas, also giving a soft kiss above his brow, before pressing a little red button on the wall, alerting the pediatricians. Her feet led her to the door and she swiftly exited, not looking back. For if she did, she would go running back to the man she loved with all her heart.

Pediatricians raced around the room, confused and slightly panicking as the incubator was open and the baby was flailing about. It was uncommon for a baby in an incubator to move around this much, so they had to take her out.

Wires were detached and the breathing assistance was removed. As soon as the tube was removed from the baby's mouth, she started to wail and cry. The doctors all stopped and stared, completely amazed at the miracle.

Thomas stood outside the room from where he was escorted. He spun to meet the eyes of the doctor who had walked out of his little girl's room with a baffled expression.

"What happened? Is she — is she —"

"She's ... fine. Actually, she's perfectly ... healthy," the doctor said, still puzzled by the miraculous recovery.

Thomas gasped and placed a hand on his mouth, and sat down right on the spot. The ground was uncomfortable, but he could care less. Tears ran down his cheeks again, but this time, for a whole new reason.

—HESTIA knew she couldn't leave without warning. Thomas May didn't love her like she loved him, but he still saw her as his closest friend, the 'godmother' of his daughter.

Hestia placed the paper white envelope onto the man's pillow, knowing he'd see it ... and hopefully read it. He deserved to know why she couldn't be with him anymore. He couldn't take that pain without getting an explanation.

Hestia let a tear fall to the envelope where the paper crinkled, forever left with a remnant of the goddess.

NOTES ;
HESTIA'S STORY IN THIS MAKES ME
SOB

NOTES ;HESTIA'S STORY IN THIS MAKES MESOB