THIRTEEN

xiii.

  —SAVANNAH grinned as Leo handed her a sandwich wrapped in tin foil

  —SAVANNAH grinned as Leo handed her a sandwich wrapped in tin foil. She hadn't realized she was hungry until her stomach started to grumble even over the sound of rushing wind. As she unwrapped the thin sheet of foil, she began to smile wider, if that was even possible. It was peanut butter and jelly and she faintly noticed the small slices of banana in between; exactly how she ate it back at the Wilderness School to add a little bit more flavor to the blandness. And when they were available, she would also put strawberries in.

  "Thank you," Savannah said, latched onto Leo's body with one arm and eating the sandwich with her other.

  "Only the best for you." He looked over his shoulder and she gave him a stuffed cheek grin.

  Jason peeked around Piper's body. "You got any for us, buddy?"

  Leo seemed to realize his distraction and retrieved the other sandwiches, handing them back. "Always."

  The sun slowly started to set on the horizon and Savannah could feel Piper drop her head onto her back to sleep. She didn't mind, only leaning forward onto Leo's own back to talk with him quietly.

  "It's pretty." She mentioned, looking at the colors in the sky.

  "Oh?" Leo shrugged briefly. "I've seen better."

  Savannah squinted her eyes disbelievingly. "Where?"

  Leo tilted his head. "Eh, no where specific. It's just not the best."

  Savannah chuckled. "Yeah, well, I think this is the best I've seen." She admired the reds and oranges and pinks.

  "You've seen nothing yet. With Festus, here," he patted the dragons head, "I'll be able to show you all kinds of sunsets and sunrises. Each one prettier than the last."

  Savannah held onto him tighter. "I'd like that. I really would." Then the two just admired the sky for a while.

  It was like the sky was on fire ... but in a good way. She wished that all fires could be like this one.

  "Uh, thank you for the sandwiches, by the way," Savannah said eventually. "I don't think any of us even remembered that we would need to eat."

  Leo waved his hand. "Don't mention it. I'm happy to play chef."

  "Right. What can't you do, Handy Manny?" She asked, nestling her head deeper in the crevice between his narrow shoulder blades. She felt the vibrations of his chuckles.

  "I'm not great at math," he stated bluntly.

  "I don't think math will be such a big issue anymore," Savannah admitted.

  "Yeah, me neither," Leo sighed.

  Savannah switched her position against his back as he was giving off an immense amount of heat, but she didn't really mind. The bite of the wind countered it.