Part Three

© Birdy Stewart, 2013 

- Areila -

I stood in the kitchen with Teresa, Rafe's big footsteps fading up the grand stairs to his at-home office. I'd placed the tea kettle on the stove and turned at Teresa's voice behind me. "Dear, come, sit with me. I'll take care of the tea when it's done." Before I could protest, she waved me forward with her arms extended widely, "You'd best stay off your feet, figlia. If that baby is anything like my fat boy, you'll be lucky to walk down the stairs before your third trimester." I chuckled and shook my head as I took a seat across from my fiancée's mother at the breakfast nook, propping my crutches next to me on the chair.

"Was Rafaello really that chunky?" I asked with another laugh. Teresa shook her head,

"No, he wasn't just chunky, he was huge. A big fatty, that boy was." At that, I suddenly broke into loud, bellowing laughter. Rafe was nothing but muscle, it was hard to imagine him as a chunky kid. "Of course, he thinned out as he grew up," Teresa continued before winking at me, "Those rippling muscles came after he graduated high school." I blushed and adverted my eyes from his mother's face as my ears and cheeks increased in temperature. Teresa only chuckled, bemused.

"Well, figlia, have you two thought of any baby names yet?" She asked suddenly. I quirked my head to the side, realizing that, surprisingly, the thought hadn't really crossed my mind until now. I shook my head.

"No, actually," I said, "But I'd like to know gender before I get too serious about names." I added with a little laugh. Teresa smiled and nodded agreeingly,

"Yes, yes, of course. You know," She said a silly grin on her face, "I let Rafe's father, Toni, name him. He'd been so nervous and over protective during the pregnancy that he hadn't even thought of a name until the doctor set that boy in his arms."

"Mother! You always told me you two'd carefully picked out that name after an endless list!" I turned to see Rafe standing in the entryway with a look of mock-hurt on his face, and couldn't stiffle my laugh in time.

"Il mio ragazzo ingenuo, I told you that when you were five after you asked why your father was making such a big deal of picking out a name for your sister." Teresa said, flipping her hand dismissively with a playful smirk tugging at her lips.

"I may have believed it, but I am not gullible, Mama. I was five." Rafe defended before sending me a fake glare as I could not stop my fit of giggles. "I'm naming them." He stated simply. I gasped and hit his arm,

"Don't even think about it!" I exclaimed firmly, although my wide smile gave away my true feelings. "If you're anything like your father, my babies will end up with last minute names like Billy and Billy Joe." Rafe laughed and sat next to me at the cozy nook. We both saw his mother's puzzled, almost shocked, expression that had taken over her features.

"Them?" She questioned, "Babies? Are you telling me there's...?" Rafe glanced at me before smiling and nodding to his mother.

"Surprise," I said hesitant smile, "there's two of them."

Teresa's hand went up to her mouth as she gasped and smiled in surprise. "You're having twins?" She asked me, and I nodded happily. Her face and tone suddenly became scolding as she smacked Rafe's arm.

"Ow!" He whined, rubbing the mark, probably not even hurt, "What was that for?"

"Why didn't you tell your mother you're having twin babies?!" She snapped. I hid a giggle in my hand and looked at Rafe, anticipating his answer.

"Maybe because we hadn't even told you Ari was pregnant." He said teasingly, his arm forgotten. The tea kettle slowly started whistling then, signaling that it the water was ready. Teresa stood and made her way to turn off the flame and fill two mugs with the piping hot water before plopping two tea bags inside.