Chapter VI: The Ear of the Heart

Mass at St. Leo X Church was different from any Mark could remember, the gloomy concrete interior of the church was no less an eyesore that its exterior. Mark had never been much of an enthusiast of church architecture when he was young, yet he felt this church needed a lesson or two on what a church ought to look like. The apse was covered in foldable chairs since during weekdays the church floor was used for its popular Yoga at Leo's Night. The altar was no less atrocious consisting of three tree branches which supported a flat piece of wood. The tabernacle was set out of sight in a side chapel behind a revolving glass door. The crucifix hung on cables from the ceiling, its two pieces of iron roughly resembled a television antenna.

"Please sit briefly for announcements everyone." Announced the priest standing in front of his chair from atop the sanctuary, to his right was an elderly man, Deacon Dominick, and to his left sat Jake, wearing his cassock and surplice. He sat with his back upright to the chair's rest, each hand latent on top of one his tights. He sat in perfect contemplative prayer, looking beyond to an indefinite mystery, his face calm and suave solid as a marble statute. He stood out, calmly and serene amongst the loudness of St. Leo's parishioners. The celebrating priest, Fr. Daniels, seemed annoyed, his alb was dirty at his ankles, his vestments flowing like bedsheets, a portable microphone clipped to his collar brushed too much against the fabric making a constantly irritable sound. Walking to the redwood log which functioned as the ambo, Fr. Daniels repositioned himself and took a piece of paper from his pocket.

"Don't worry everyone I won't keep you here long, I have burger waiting for me in my backyard!" The congregation responded with laughter. Catholics make announcements at the end of their worship, and right before the final blessing, delivering vital information before the parking lot onslaughter commences.

"RCIA and First Communion registration start next Monday, get your spots soon. The Knights of Columbus still have tickets for the annual crab feed, they will be selling tickets at the front, at the end of every mass this week. Women of Grace and Wine will meet every Monday from now on at the Guadalupe Hall 6:30pm for their weekly bible study and social. Beers, BBQ, and Bibles will meet every two weeks from now at 5:00 pm, on the south lawn for their bible study group. Also on that note, Lectio Divina and our Young Adult Ministry has moved to Tuesdays at 6:00PM, and thus LifeTeen to Wednesdays at 5:00PM. I know that's a lot of schedule changes, we had to change thigs up for all of our ministries. You may be wondering why, and the reason is that young man sitting right there." Said the priest as he pointed to Jake, who still lost in space regained his awareness as the congregation laughed to a new joke from their celebrant.

"As you know, Jake, joined us a week ago for his pastoral assignment. He will be with us until the summer. If you have yet to meet Jake, you can catch him at the front once we are done, and you can also catch the full list of ministry times changes in the bulletin! Don't forget to take it with you!" The priest seemed awfully tired, it was well past midday and he had already repeated the same words for the last four masses, this was the fifth and last mass of the day.

"The Lord be with you." Hastily echoed the priest as he walked across the sanctuary and into his chair.

"And with your spirit." Replied the congregation with a roaring of feet standing from their clanking chairs.

"May almighty God bless you, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit." Answered the priest. Mark stood and crossed himself on the final blessing.

"Amen," Mark replied in unison to the congregation, who was already beginning to shuffle out the side doors.

"Go forth. Our mass has ended. Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord." Thanks be to God, was the final sigh of relief Mark uttered. Standing at the front of the church next to a wall had been the perfect place to see Jake. Although Jake had never noticed an admired watched him from the pews. Jake had looked melancholic throughout the service, disconnected, yet as he walked alongside the procession out of the church his pallor regained its radiance, the gold in his eyes sparkled with the light of rainbow windows.