Fifteen.

The deeply cold fall air was beginning to put her in a stupor. Even as the sporadic splash of stars painted the night sky, and the moonlight showered her in its brightness, all Anna wanted to do was to go back inside. The cold was not her thing. The night, on the other hand, was her partner in crime.

She rested her back on the high stone wall, watching as cars past her by. She was dressed in all black again, would have been a shadow in the night had it not been for the moonlight she stood under. On her feet, instead of her usual black boots, she wore simple black sandals, putting her unpainted toes on display. She tucked her arms into her black hoodie, the hood obscuring her face, and peeked down the road.

He was late. She hated having her time wasted.

Even as she thought it, Anna saw a car coming her way. She melted back against the wall, blending in, looking like just another street bystander. But her eyes were trained on the car as it pulled in closer. She recognized the car before it parked in front of her, on the other side of the road.

Looking both ways, she crossed the street. "You took your time," she said to the man who hopped out.

"Yeah, well, when you keep telling me to arrive in three minutes, you're bound to wait a little," Roger said candidly. "Three minutes is how fast men like Usain Bolt can get here, not people like me."

Anna couldn't help but roll her eyes. "You know I'm on a tight leash here, Dumbass."

"Keep calling me that and we just might be out here all night."

"Don't test me."

"I'm not testing you, Anna." He smiled. "I'm as serious as you are." He leaned against the door of the car and folded his arms. Roger Dumas was a man used to getting what he wants. His Wall Street looks and his killer smile opened doors for him, had people falling over themselves for him and the way he looked at her now made Anna know that he thought it would have the same effect on her.

Sometimes it gave her legitimate joy popping his bubble.

"Are you threatening me, Dumbass?" Her voice grew dark and she stepped closer. He was taller than her, by a good head, but her intimidation far outweighed his. To his credit, Roger didn't back down.

"Threatening is a harsh word, Anna," he replied lightly. The corner of his lips quirked upwards even further as he looked down at her. "I have something that you want, and I've stated my terms. It's a simple as that."

It will be much easier just doing what he asks, she thought. But she was never one to back down in a fight. Even when time was against her every step of the way, she held her ground. She might get caught out here, they might realize she's missing, but right now, all that mattered was that Roger never tries her again.

She punched him in the stomach. It was light, a simple graze in her opinion, but he doubled over. His hand reached out to grab her shoulder for support but when he caught the look in her eyes, he shifted it to the side view mirror.

"Damn it, Anna," he wheezed. "I was just messing with you."

"I already told you, Dumbass. I don't have much time. Just give me what I asked for so we both can be on our ways."

"Damn, this is why you don't have a boyfriend, you know." Even as he spoke, he walked around the car to the trunk, still half bent in pain.

"Does it look like I care?"

He looked at her and shook his head. "No. No, it doesn't. You're going to die a lonely woman, Anna."