009

If there had been any doubt of her dedication and abilities before, it had been erased.

The Winter Wraith had been given her assignment and sent off immediately.

Before departure, she'd been given warnings about the changing world around her, understanding little of what they've told her. She had a basis from Siberia in the nineties-she was only briefly allowed out to assess her interactions with other non-HYDRA persons- but that was it. Everything had evolved. They ordered her not to dwell on anything and complete the mission. It was enough, they believed she was prepared.

They had also explained that there was an organization -one that stood in the way of HYDRA- but had also been unknowingly housing it, and their director was her objective. He had escaped attempts on his life quite a few times already. HYDRA considered him a large threat, and really wished for him to be taken care of. This man had his suspicions that HYDRA had weeded their way in. They've already dispatched the first subject of the Winter Soldier Program, and now they've dispatched her.

Washington D.C.

It was dark, but the city was still thriving. The motor vehicles were the most confusing, she's never seen anything like them. Or, at least she couldn't remember if she had. Flying was preferred for her, it was second nature to be able to pilot any aircraft.

Earlier she had watched as the Winter Soldier -another person she had been told about- attempted to take out S.H.I.E.L.D's director, Nick Fury. He'd gotten away, if only briefly. The Soldier's technique was simple and destructive. It got things done. He wasn't even the first wave.

A team had been sent first; multiple agents disguised as police officers were dispatched to intercept and terminate. The Winter Wraith had been following them from the skies, having been aboard a helicopter sent to keep eyes on Fury. A few times it seemed as if the S.H.I.E.L.D director was done for, yet he'd continue to weasel out of intense situations. The agents continued to be taken out, their squad cars littered through the streets in different states of destruction. She had to admit, Fury was impressive. He was the director for a reason. And it wasn't until the large intersection that the Soldier finally had to step in.

The last two cars had been smashed by a moving truck and Fury's black SUV had made it down another street unfollowed. The Winter Soldier was waiting for him, stalking towards the speeding car head on with a modified grenade launcher at his side. The car was overturned thirty seconds later. That's when Fury had gotten away, having cut through both the hood of the vehicle and the pavement below to escape.

Rumlow had briefly explained that there were few people Fury would trust after the Winter Soldier affirmed his suspicions that S.H.I.E.L.D had been compromised, Steve Rodgers being one of them. From her position on the rooftop across from his building, the Winter Wraith could clearly see his large, muscular build moving up towards his apartment. Her eyes narrowed -the black grease surrounding them, plus her mask, making her more animal than human- as Rodgers entered his apartment only to pause as soon as he took a few steps in and closed the door. He was defensive, taking up that red, white, and blue shield that symbolized Captain America. She didn't need to see the other person to know who it was.

Fury.

They spoke, but didn't give away anything. She knew better, they must be using some form of code. As soon as Fury stood up, the Winter Soldier fired three times through the brick and plaster from the building adjacent. Not the window.

Rodgers had spotted the Soldier as soon as his director had been shot, leaving Fury with some blonde woman. Another agent. He began pursuing as soon as the Soldier began running along the rooftop. Rodgers charged through the office building below him.

They both jumped to the next building over, the one she was perched upon. The Soldier noticed her, Rodgers did not. He hurled that shield as soon as he had rolled to his feet.

"Povernis!"

Turn.

The Winter Soldier turned on her command, caught it with his bionic arm, and glared at Rodgers for a few seconds before throwing it back with so much force that the Captain slid back a foot. The Winter Soldier took those few precious seconds to disappear over the edge of the roof. She vaulted over in a similar fashion.

Metal fingers grasped her own, the force of her drop causing considerable strain on both of their limbs, both soldiers letting out grunts of exertion. The Winter Soldier swung her up next to him, both of them ducking into an open window.

They easily made it five blocks to the extraction point, the Soldier stopping and guiding them into an abandoned garage. The extraction team wouldn't arrive for another seven minutes, having been given a very specific time to pick up both subjects.

"Who are you?"

He spoke in Russian, having heard her speak it earlier. HYDRA must not have told him about her. The Wraith stayed silent. She hasn't uttered a singular word of her own since coming out of cryostasis, unless ordered too. There wasn't anything to say. Even if there was, and if she did, it'd risk her being wiped all over again. Never again did she wish for that. Her cold, dejected gaze met his.

His eyes caused something in her mind to start churning, causing her eyebrows to furrow. She shook her head a few seconds later, wanting to shake loose the independent thoughts. Those weren't permitted either. She finally did answer, though, hoping that feeling that something was missing would go away.

"The Winter Wraith"

Now it was his turn to acquire that same look. He squeezed his eyes shut and took a step back. When his eyes opened again, there was an even darker look present in them. His reason for being hostile evaded her, but she still took two steps back when he stepped forward. It wasn't out of fear, just precaution.

"Get out of my head," he spit, venom dripping from his gruff voice.

Those words brought back that lost feeling, making her eyes glaze over as her memory tried to produce something. Anything. That same phrase had been spoken to her, by him, at some point before. Hadn't it?

Nothing. She couldn't remember.

He repeated the words, louder now, and stepped forward again. In a swift motion she had raised one of her handguns, glaring at him over the weapon. She wasn't in his head. In fact, that soft throbbing had been present all day from the continued dis-use of her abilities. It'd be gone even if she was unconsciously using them.

When it was clear that she wasn't going to stand down, the Winter Soldier lunged forward, metal hand clasping around the barrel of her firearm and effectively halting the bullets she had already fired. The weapon was ripped out of her hand and she retaliated by drop kicking the larger body back. Both of them landed on their backs with quiet grunts. She was the first to her feet, watching as he used the kip-up method to regain his footing.

She didn't wish to fight him. He wasn't her mission, and she wasn't his.

But she didn't say anything otherwise.

The Winter Wraith allowed the Winter Soldier to continue battering her, blocking his hits when she could and remaining defensive. One of his hands grabbed ahold of the hair at the base of her neck and yanked, exposing her neck. She felt a prick before he quickly whirled her around and got her into a headlock.

When the extraction team showed up they found the Winter Soldier leaning against the stone wall with the Winter Wraith unconscious next to his feet.

***

I'll be getting into editing this soon. My winter break starts in a week or so. Yay, time for writing! Enjoy this chapter.

- Flynn