IX

I heard my room door open again. I couldn't see who it was. Who ever it was wrapped their hands around my neck and covered my mouth.

"Didn't I tell your ass to keep quiet?" The person asked while tightening the grip around my neck.

I bit his hand as hard as I could. His grip just tightened more. My breaths became short and shallow. I was convinced I was going to die tonight.

"You think things are bad now?" Maurice threatened, "Wait until you get out of here."

I tried to catch my breath but I was all coughing and gasping for air. I didn't go to sleep all I could think about what Maurice said. All I could do was cry and feel sorry for myself.

The following morning my doctor returned to give me my medication.

"Are you allergic to anything?" He asked.

"No," I said in a raspy tone, "Why?"

"Your neck is red." He said coming closer and examining my neck.

"Did anyone come in here after I had gave you your medication?" He asked.

"Yeah." I replied hoarsely.

"Did you get a good look of the person?" He asked.

"No, I didn't it was too dark to see." I said.

"Are you having trouble breathing?" He asked.

"Not anymore." I respond.

"There's someone I want you to speak to." He said opening the door.

"Who?" I asked.

"Come in." The doctor said.

He still didn't answer my question. He left as the woman came in holding a clipboard.

"Hello Adrian, nice to meet you." The woman said.

"Hello..?" I replied.

"I'm here to ask you a few questions." She said.

I asked, "About?"

"How did you become paralyzed?" She asked, "Is there any abuse in your home?"

I paused, "No, I fell."

"How did you fall?" She asked.

"I tripped on my younger brother's toys that he left on the stairs." I said.

She wrote everything I told her on her clipboard. Then continued to ask more questions.

"Who checked you into the hospital?" She asked.

"My brother." I said.

"May I have his name?" She asked.

"Why?" I asked.

"Standard procedure." She answered.

"It's Sebastian." I said.

She wrote something else into her clipboard.

"How did you get that?" She says pointing to my neck.

"How did I get what?" I said pretending I didn't know what she was talking about.

"Those red marks on your neck." She replied, "They look like hand prints"

"I didn't know they were there." I lied.

"I'll be getting in touch with you and your family throughout the week." She told me.

"OK." I said dryly.

She closed the door behind her but left a crack. I heard her voice talking to my doctor.

I couldn't make out what they were saying. I knew it was something about me though.