For the Guilty and the Murdered

Grasping the door-frame for support, Hermione found herself unable to breathe. Years ago, what seemed like another life, something of nightmares, she was all too familiar with her lungs straining to pull in oxygen from all the stress she carried on her shoulders. It took her ages to be able to stand tall, to not let the panic win over, but that's because peace had come. She had found love and knew nothing of loss. 

That had changed, of course.

"Hermione?" A hand was placed on her shoulder, adding to the weight that threatened to have her double over. 

Forcing herself to get her act together, Hermione turned to her mother-in-law. "I fixed up our guest bedroom to better accommodate you, Cissy. I'm sorry if it's nothing like your own quarters, but you'll find all the necessities."

"This is all wonderful, Hermione," said Narcissa as she followed her daughter-in-law and Pansy Weasley into the guest bedroom. Light poured into the room, drowning it. The walls were a pearlescent shade, matching the titled floor and the pillows on the taupe sheets. "But you did not have to make a fuss for me. The necessities are you, Draco, and my grandchildren."

Hermione looked away from her mother-in-law. "Of course it was necessary. We were not going to let you stay in whatever shabby place was vacant."

"Oi," cutting across Hermione, Pansy began to frown. "My house is not shabby. I've spent a good amount of my youth arranging it into its impeccable state."

Hermione sighed, not in the mood to put up with Pansy's argumentative state. "I just meant that this is Narcissa's home, too. It's the least I could do given...."

"Given what?" Narcissa asked sharply, her brow raised as Pansy turned to an abstract painting on the furthest wall. "Given your guilt, Hermione? Do you think you owe me something? Do you think I'm going to demand something now that Lucius is gone?"

Hermione shut her eyes, squeezing them tight to keep the tears from falling. It was hardly a surprise to her that she failed. The tears streamed down her cheeks. "Please, Narcissa. Don't."

Narcissa took a confident step toward her. "Your guilt will end up destroying the relationship we have built, Hermione. You are like a daughter to me; you have given me three beautiful grandchildren, bringing incredible happiness to my shattered family. You helped make the Malfoys complete. Do not take that away from me by distancing yourself now. Understood?"

"Cissy, I—"

"No, listen to me," Narcissa deepened her frown at Hermione. "Lucius acted by his own free will. He chose to give up his life for you, because he knew the same things I did, of what you mean to our family, so respect that. Don't you dare take that from him by blaming yourself."

"But I do blame myself," Hermione muttered back. "If I hadn't...If I would've just reacted in time, we wouldn't have buried your husband."

Narcissa took a deep breath, trying to control the pain from shining in her blue eyes. "The robbery was not your fault. Harry explained the situation already; the thieves had records dating months back on how to break into the Manor. Whether you had been there or not, Lucius would still have died." 

Hermione cringed at the thought just as Pansy tried to shuffle out of the room, not wanting to be in the grieving air for too long, but her path was blocked by her old friend. Draco briefly glanced at her, raising a brow, questioning her about the situation, but Pansy could only shrug back. 

"My mother's right, Hermione," Draco's voiced startled his wife and mother, making them turn to him. "My father's gone now and that's not your fault."