Protecting the Loony and the Sane

Time of war broke many people; Luna had watched them shatter, become the worst versions of themselves as blood continued to be shed and their loyalties were tested. For her, those dark times had only brought light. She learned the meaning of friendship and felt the love of another.

She had prepared herself for loss, of course. After all, Luna Lovegood was no stranger to it. Her mother had passed away before Luna was old enough to go to Hogwarts, leaving her and her father to conquer life without her. When the war came, she waited for the grief, and she got it. Loss came from all angles; so many friends had died, so many innocent people, as did her loving father. She expected to break like those around her, knowing Death lingered over her shoulder, breathing down her neck, but Luna remained whole.

Despite the consecutive funerals and rubble their world had become, she was showered with love. She never once felt alone after surviving the reign and imprisonment of the Dark Lord. 

Then she fell into the system of the Ministry of Magic. She was bound by their Marriage Law that was predicted to rebuild the destruction toll. 

At barely seventeen, she married a boy who challenged her heart to beat along with his (after several trials and tribulations, that is). She fell in love. Deeply. Because of that, she forgot things like Death existed, so she went on with life, skipping along her path like she had grass to go on for the rest of eternity. The spirits from above, guided by her deceased mother, granted Luna three miracles, three little angels of her own: Lorcan, an intelligent, curious boy who found the same bliss in paint as his parents; his twin Lysander, who was witty, passionate, and naive as his mother had once been, and lastly, her little Dawn, who was all fire, all heart, all soul like her father was.

Luna Lovegood had lived in time of war; she could never let Luna Thomas forget that Death is a shadow that always follows the body

"Mrs. Thomas, we're ready for you."

Luna turned her attention from the small, peculiar plant over a coffee table to find a young man in bright yellow robes looking down at her, grief on his face. She smiled at him, nodding as she pushed away all the details of the plant her beloved friend Neville had shared with her years ago. 

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Thomas," the young Trainee (Alfie, if she remembered correctly) mumbled to her as he led her down a corridor of St. Mungo's. "Healer Thomas....I admire him so much. He's the best Healer here. All of us send your family our deepest support."

Reaching over to squeeze his wrist, she said, "Thank you." Yet, her chest was still being bruised by her pounding heart. Instead of its increased tempo being related to her skipping down a hill, singing one of the tunes she had learned from the Amazonian tribes she works with, it was due to overwhelming anxiety. Luna had not felt like this since Voldemort had proclaimed Harry dead. 

Fate worked to collide her past and present when green, bespectacled eyes met her blue when she entered a hospital room. 

"Angelina let us in," Harry explained as the trainee closed the door behind Luna, leaving them to their privacy. He walked over to her, carefully placing a hand on her shoulder. "We wanted to be here for you. For both of you."

Ron cleared his throat, making himself known. "We're here as friends, Luna. No Auror business."

Luna looked away from her old friends to the man lying in the hospital bed. She swallowed the knot in her throat to say, "The Healers assured he'd wake soon. He wasn't hurt too badly. Nothing a few days of bed-rest can't cure. I'm just not sure he will be up to discussing this with you, but you are welcomed to try."

"Really, Luna," Ron pressed. "No Auror business."

"You know, Pansy doesn't buy your act of dieting, Ron," she said. "Surely you can't think I believe you won't ask my husband what happened."