9 - Texting

"You made a fool of yourself," Hannah glows at me, and I laugh as I sit in the infirmary bed.

"Are you shocked?" I ask, pulling the sheets back, and standing up.

A nurse runs up to me and tries to get me to sit down but I brush her off, "I'm fine," I smile, "It's happened before. They'd just never seen it before."

The nurse allows me to leave, but only if I stay with Hannah, "No. I'm not," She says and then she looks at me.

"What?"

"Do you remember anything?" She gapes at me.

"Not after I said 'I lied' and fell back down," I admit.

Hannah starts laughing hysterically, she's tomato red she's laughing so hard.

"What?!" I demand. Oh God. What did I do?

"After that Steve picked you back up, and we were walking back and you named a butterfly Chloe, and then you started half flirting with Steve," Hannah has to stop between 'named a butterfly Chloe' and 'Steve'.

If I had the ability to blush, I would.

We walk into the kitchen where I stick my head in the fridge, "Hey, Wolfie," Tony's voice says, and I groan.

"Whhhhaaaaatttttt?" I drone, and Tony raises an eyebrow.

"I finished your custom, be grateful," Tony says, and Hannah and I exchange a look and we charge to the elevator.

"That hurt my knee," I mumble as we go up.

Hannah laughs, "I could say it hurt my shoulder, except it didn't," The blonde wraps her arm around me, "Wanna watch youtube or something, it's been awhile since we had a chance to watch anything. What we read was month old news paper scraps. " She asks and immediately I understand.

"Whatever" I reply as Hannah practically drags me to our room.

• • •

Hannah and I walk into our room and there's something shiny on the bed, "SHINY!" Hannah yells and attacks the small glinting object.

I roll my eyes, and Hannah gasps, "SABI. THEY'RE PHONES. WE GOT PHONES!" Hannah yells, and I hear Tony tell at her to shut up through the drywall.

"How long have you been asking?" I raise an eyebrow and put my hand on my hip.

"Every day. Twice a day," Hannah's bright smile makes everything worth it. Her smiles is priceless and I would do anything to keep it there.

I facepalm, trying to hide a smile of my own, "Good God," I laugh.

• • •

"STEVE," I yell from the couch as the TV plays some weird body builder show that I'm not actually watching, "STEVE?!"

I hear Steve's footfalls approach rapidly, and a loud snap makes me jump to my feet.

Steve stands panting, looking down at the door he is currently standing on. I swear, my jaw hit the floor.

"W-What happened?" Steve pants, and I just stare at the door.

"Y-You kicked down t-the door!" I pour at the door he stands on, completely flabbergasted.

"Are you hurt?" Steve steps off the door. At least someone has their priorities straight.

"No, but the door is," I snicker, and I return to the phone that I almost crushed in my hand, "Do you know how to work this? I need some help because I'm like going to cry, I've been trying to figure this out for an hour."

I huff, and Spangles looks surprised, "T-That's all?"

I nod, and he looks at the door, "Oops."

I sit down at Tony's bar counter, and throw the phone down lightly in front of me.

Steve lays a hand on my shoulder and takes the phone, he hits the circle button with a square in it and it lights up.

Steve pressed the button once more, and I shake my head, "I tried that already."

After about an hour Hannah walks in, and she just stares at the door and the two of us, befuddled by the small electronic device.

"Do I ask?" Hannah looks at Steve and I, then the door, the to Steve and I again.

I shake my head, "Long story."

Hannah nods, "What's going on..?"

"How the hell does this work?" I demand, standing up in raw frustration. The sun pours through the glass windows, which only adds to my frustration.

"Language," Steve says, and I whip around to face him.

"Hold on a second!" I hiss, and Steve looks genuinely afraid. I'm so good with people.

Hannah sighs and take the phone, "Listen carefully, I'm not going to show you guys twice."

She pressed the circle square button then touches the screens and swipes right. A bunch of little rounded squares show up, "These are apps," She says and she shows us how to call and text.

"How do you know all of this?" I accuse.

"How didn't you?!" She retorts.

Steve pulls out his own phone, copying her movements.

"Uh- It looks like I don't have your cellular phone number. I have everyone else's, though."

I find mine, and I write it on his hand, because I've heard that's what we're supposed to do when someone asks.

I use a black sharpie to write (905) 555-7592.

Satisfied with my work, I cap the sharpie, and throw it at Hannah who is rolling on the floor laughing, "I can't, I just can't," She repeats over and over.

"What? Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?" I ask defensively, and Bruce walks in and looks at his favorite little girl on the floor, laughing to death.

I look at Steve helplessly, "You may be from the past, but I am just as clueless as you."