short chapter

Once back at the mountain, the still unconscious Aqualad and Megan were carried to the sick bay, the rest of the team and I walked, of course. Already the black canary was there to help tend to injuries.

As batman and superboy lay the two unconscious members on the sick beds, canary spoke, "I got your message that the team was injured in a fight. My question is, what happened?" she put a hand on her hip an cocked an eyebrow.

"I'm not entirely sure myself. That'll be a question for the team, but injuries now, talking later."

All there really was for injuries were small cuts and not so small bruises. Nothing too troublesome. It wasn't long before the Martian and Atlantian awoke. By then everyone was all bandaged up.

At some point the Flash also entered the Med Bay, standing at the side out of the way of Canary and the Bat. I snuck brief glances at him the whole time, wondering why he were here. It made me a bit uneasy. Not as much as usual, but still a little bit.

My internal question was answered though, when bandaging was complete. "It's time you all told us what exactly happened out there." Canary demanded firmly.

"We know little more than you. Black Jaguar is the only one who knows the whole story, I'd think."
Aqualad replied while stretching his stiff joints.

"I thought this would be the case. Team, I'm going to have to ask you sit this one out. Please leave. And don't even think of arguing. It won't change my mind." Batman ordered, and one by one, the team begrudgingly left. Until only Robin was left.

"Robin, I made it clear this wasn't up for discussion. Go." batman glared at his protege, who was unfazed by the look.

"I already know as much about her clan as you do, I was there when she told you, remember? I could be here for moral support." Robin defended, setting a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

Batman looked to be in thought for a moment, before, "Very well. You can stay." Robin smiled triumphantly at this.

"Let's get on with it. Layla-"

"Jaguar." I corrected canary swiftly.

"Uh, okay, Jaguar. Tell us what happened." Canary looked a little disappointed when I corrected her instead of using my name, but I brushed off the guilt. I just wasn't comfortable with her using my real name. It didn't feel right at all.

"Its actually a bit self explanatory," I began, "My ninja clan heard of my escape, most likely through their many resources, and decided it was time they take me back. The probably saw my mentality turned out stable and decided I may be worth recapturing, so set my mentor to do so. Now that my mentor is dead, though, I'll be left alone for the most part. The clan would never waste more of their time and people on an unreliable asset, considering I would rebel."

"So you think your former clan will leave you be now?" Batman asked.

"I am almost certain of it." I reply.

"Even so, we should take precautionary measures now. You should lay low awhile, so as not to attract attention to yourself." Batman stated.

"Y-you mean like house arrest at the mountain? I can barely contain my energy with the amount of times I go out now! How on the planet would I be able to control myself while not leaving at all, I would go stir crazy!" The prospect of being stuck here frightened me. It would feel just like McCoy's all over again. I don't think I can handle that. Not a a second time.

"Batman, that's unfair to her! You can't just imprison Layla again, not after she just escaped-" Robin began heatedly, but was cut off by Batman. "I wasn't proposing we keep her here. I also wasn't saying she should be put on complete house arrest. For now, it's true that her Jaguar persona should lay low, but that doesn't mean her civilian identity has too." Batman explained.

"That would require one of us bringing her to our home though, which won't work. She is still terrified of us." Stated the long forgotten Flash sarcastically.

"I must admit, Flash is onto something there. If she was to live with one of us, she would have to be with one of the team members, since she is only comfortable around them. This already excludes Superboy and Megan, since they live here. Aqua man lives in Atlantis, so that cancels him out as well. Artemis doesn't even live with Green Arrow, and we need an experienced hero watching her. That only Flash and you, Batman." Canary pointed out.

Not gonna lie, it feels weird that they're talking about me while I'm sitting right here.

"Layla, you'll just have to stay here at the mountain until we sort this out." Batman spoke to me. Finally.

Meanwhile, Canary and Batman made note she made no attempt to correct his usage of her name.

I nodded, hoping that happened soon so I wouldn't be stuck here.

"Robin, Jaguar, you may leave." Batman finished.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

3rd person P.O.V.
(after Robin and Black Jaguar left)

Canary sighs. "What are we gonna do with her? We have very limited options of people for her to stay with, and the list is reduced to nothing taking in account her fear. She can't go to an orphanage either because of her powers and fear." Canary fretted.

"Obviously she needs to live with a hero, but she also has to feel comfortable with them. Otherwise, it would be just like being back with her clan or McCoy." Flash, who had been filled in on the situation, pointed out.

"Which is why she should stay with someone she's familiar with. She's familiar with many of us, we just don't know who she's most familiar with. Since we can't figure it out here, we'll have to wait until another time. Perhaps it will become clearer in days to come." Batman said, and the three Leaguers left the room.

~Sayonara