Chapter 3: Viva La Vida

As I pull into the driveway to the Carter's house I'm belting out the chorus to "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay. I get out of the truck and go knock on the door.

Mr. Carter opens the door and smiles, "I didn't think we'd see you for a while Abbey. Please come in."

As I walk in I'm bombarded by three little kids. "Hey guys! What's going on?" I get a chorus of jumbled up words. I laugh and stand up.

I walk over and hug Mrs.Carter, "How's everything going here?"

"Pretty good. We are all doing well and Laura is getting so much better the people at Vanderbilt are so helpful. Thank you so much for helping us. I can't imagine how much money you've spent on us. We owe you so much."

I shake my head "No you don't, all you owe me is to make sure all of these kids have what they need and if they don't you call me."

She nods and starts crying. I

hug her, "I'm gonna be heading out and back home I just wanted to check on all of you." I make my way out the door and my phone rings.

I don't know the number. "Hello."

"Hey Abbey this is Luke, I was told to call you and tell you we want Chinese for dinner." "Okay I'll pick it up. I'm headed home now."

"Great. Where were you?"

"No where you need to know about. I'll see y'all when I get home. Bye." I hang up and go and pick up Chinese.

I'm greeted by Luke when I get home and I hand him some of the food as I get out of the truck. I open the door and go in noticing James isn't here.

I turn to Luke, "Where's James at?"

"Your mom picked him up earlier. He said he be back for dinner which isn't true. He said your dad's business was having trouble and needed help because your dad's not here."

I nod "Ah." I go get forks and hand him one. We eat in a comfortable silence while watching NCIS. When I'm done, he's passed out on the couch and I head to my room. I call Leigh.

"Hey woman what's going on?"

"Nothing really. When are you wanting to get together?"

"How about tomorrow night and we go to the club here in town."

"Sure as long as we don't go overboard."

"Nope no way."

"Uh huh. Shit the books are in the attic and I want to read tonight." I'm going to go so I can retrieve them from the haunted roof."

She laughs, "Kay see ya tomorrow!"

I go and open the door to the attic and walk downstairs to get a flashlight. I turn around and Luke it sitting up on the couch looking pretty adorable rubbing his eyes. "What're you doing with a flashlight?"

"I have to go in the attic and I can never find the light switch without a flashlight."

"What do you need out of there?"

"Books." I turn and walk away. He's on my heels.

"I'll help books are heavy." I laugh and shake my head. We make it inside and I get the light switch. I start looking for the boxes and he goes exploring.

"I found the boxes! WHAT?? No stop don't open the window." Too late. I hear the attic door shut and I sit on the floor.

"We can open the door again Abbey it's no big deal."

I sigh, "It is a big deal because the door will not open. I had a squirrel problem so I had the door fixed to where it couldn't be opened from the inside. We have another hour and a half until James gets home. We are stuck."

He walks over to the door and tries to open it. "Why the hell would you have this done?"

I mutter, "Squirrel problem they would open the door and get downstairs, and to be honest here you opened the damn window this is your fault."

He grumbles and sits by the door. I get up and shut the window and start going through the books in the box.

He gets up and walks over. I hear a slight "I'm sorry."

"What was that I couldn't hear you"

"I said I'm sorry Abbey." I smirk and turn to face him, "What still can't hear you?!"

He smirks and grabs my waist and pulls me towards him. "I'm sorry for getting us trapped in the attic and for snapping at you." I smile and turn around to grab my books but he doesn't let me go.