VII

Heba Mutou didn't quite know why he had felt so compelled to make the phone call to his grandfather. That insistent tug to pick up the phone, and call one of his favorite relatives. Just to talk, maybe? Or, perhaps it was the fact that Yuugi was now living with their grandfather. Either way, that pull to pick up the phone easily won against his naturally inquisitive nature.

"Tou-san, I'm making a phone call," he informed his father, before picking up the handheld phone after cleaning up dinner, and heading upstairs, to his room.

"To whom?" his father questioned.

"Jii-chan," was his offhanded reply. Receiving only a grunt of affirmation, Heba continued the journey to his sanctuary, and dialed a familiar number.

He pressed the speaker to his ear, and waited for someone to pick up.

Ring... Ring... Ri-

"Mutou residence. Mutou Sugoroku speaking." a voice gravelled with age replied. Heba smiled instinctively.

"Konbanwa, Jii-chan!" he cheered into the receiver, flopping laxly onto his mattress. "It's Heba!"

There was a slightly-surprised, but otherwise pleased-sounding noise from the elder. "Why, Heba, my boy! It's been quite some time since I last spoke to you!" The comment sounded critical, but was laced in amusement and mischief, "What brings you to call a senile old man like myself on a fine evening like this?"

Heba laughed, smiling widely. "What, are young whippersnappers like me not qualified to ring up their favorite grandpa on fine evenings?" he replied teasingly back.

More laughter. "I'm your only grandpa."

"Still my favorite."

"A wise answer."

Heba snickered again. "Since when are they not? And, no, you don't have to feel obligated to answer that." A huff of breathy chuckles. "I just felt like catching up. See how things are going. How've you been?"

"Quite well, my boy. And yourself? How is school?"

Heba shrugged, despite the fact that Sugoroku could not see it, "It's fine. Mana and I are still at the top of the school, and such..." His voice trailed off. Noticing the distinct lack of enthusiasm, Sugoroku spoke up once more.

"Heba...? Is everything alright?" he questioned, worry thick in his tone. "Is something wrong?"

"I... Iie, Ojii-chan, I've just been thinking..." Heba bit his lip lightly, chewing on it in anxiety. "Grandfather...?"

"Yes?"

The dark-skinned preteen sighed quietly. "I was wondering... Why... why is Yuugi in Domino City...? Not that I'm not excited to be able to see him again... but, he... he's really changed."

There was a sharp intake of breath through the speaker. It sounded pained. "Jii-chan?"

His grandfather was quiet for a moment, hesitating. Which was something the old man never did. "Heba... I'm... I don't think it's my place to tell you," was what he said after a long pause, "But I do feel that you have a right to know..."

Fear, strange and toxic, bubbled in the young boy's chest. "My right to know what?"

"Yuugi... your mother left him in my care for the time-being... after..." There was a heavy sigh. Heba's eyes widened.

"Jii-chan, what's wrong with Yuugi?"

His grandfather's voice with thick with emotion and- dare he think it?- held-back tears. "Yuugi... he..." A deep breath. Heba felt his chest constrict with anticipation and dread.