Part Two

Thursday morning at eleven I’m trapped behind the counter at Crazy Smoothies in this bright yellow cap and this horrible work outfit. I give the guy his smoothie and wait for the next customer. When the red head from Will’s work walks in I can’t help but laugh under my breath. Her heels clank on the floor as she walks up to the counter and drums her long finger nails on the table top.

“Can I help you?” I ask.

“Yeah, I want a banana smoothie.”

“Coming right up.”

“Hey, you’re the girl from yesterday.”

“As are you.” I turn around and begin making her smoothie. A conversation with her is not what I want to be doing now, or ever. I pour her drink into a cup and spin around to slide it over to her. “One twenty five,” I say.

“For the record, I think you could change that boy.”

“Uh, excuse me?” I take her money and place it in the cash register.

“Will. I think you have what it takes you put emotion back into him.”

“If you like him, why are you telling me this?”

“He is not my type. I like the ones who can have fun.” She winks and I get the feeling her definition of fun is way different than mine. “Have a good day.” She walks off and I’m suddenly repulsed.

I wipe the counter down, but my eyes keep traveling to the window where I can see part of the music store. A woman with her blonde hair thrown up in a bun wanders to the movie section and Will walks over, making me stop wiping down the counter. He says something as she smiles at him and then he moves to the movies and scans them.

“Marla, I’m going on break!” I yell.

“What a surprise!” she yells back.

I fix a large strawberry smoothie and run outside to cross the street and go in the music store. Will is still helping the girl in the movies so I jump on the checkout counter and wait. When a man walks over to me holding a shirt and two posters I slide off and stand behind the cash register. “Can I help you?” I ask.

“Yeah, do you know where the Rolling Stones C.D. is?”

“Oh yeah.” I walk over and grab the C.D. before walking back to the counter and holding it up. After he gives an approving nod and smile I ring up his merchandise before handing him the sack. “Have a nice day.”

“You too.” He walks away and out the door.

“I believe your hat says smoothies, not music.” I spin around and see Will grinning from ear to ear, leaning backwards on the counter. He grabs the smoothie and raises an eyebrow. “Is this mine?”

“It is,” I reply.

“Thanks for ringing that guy up. Dan called in sick today. And thanks for the smoothie.”

“No problem.” I jump back on the counter as he walks over to mess with the cash register. Without thinking, I run my fingers through his hair, earning a small smile from him.

“What are you doing?” he asks.

“I don’t know. I really like your hair.” I continue stroking it as a male walks in with black hair, a lip ring and gauges.

“Will!” he says.

I quickly place my hands on the counter and away from Will’s hair.

“Hey Danny,” he says.

“A girl? A girl here with Will? No way.”

“Hey, I’m Anne,” I say.

“Danny. So, Will there’s this concert tomorrow night.”