Part Six

Molly is already at Danny’s when I arrive. Is this girl everywhere I want to go lately? Danny sits on the porch with a cigarette and Molly standing beside him. Matt, Razor, and Dave sit in the chairs on the porch behind Danny, all with a cigarette.

Danny’s cold eyes rake down my body when I approach.

“Um hi,” I quietly say.

“Look who it is,” he says. His eye is black along with Matt’s. And Dave’s cheek is swollen.

“Yeah. I need to talk to you.”

“You know, after we all stopped bleeding and groaning, I went to Will’s to return the favor, but he wasn’t there. Where was he, Anne?”

“Um…”

“Your house, maybe?”

“Maybe.” He’s frightening, but I’m too pissed to play scared.

“Why’s that?” He throws his cigarette into the yard and stands up. Matt’s smug grin and Razor’s wide eyes inform me I should definitely be scared.

“He took me home. Look can we talk, please?”

“Talk.”

“Alone.”

“Trust me you don’t want to be alone with me right now.”

“Yeah; real scary.” My eyes shift to Molly who looks frightened but annoyed. Her eyes are slightly squinted and they don’t leave Danny and me.

“What do you want?” he grumbles.

“I’m… we’re over.” I spin around and walk away with speed. That didn’t turn out exactly like I planned, but it’s over with now, so that’s good. His nails dig into my skin when he grabs my arm. I turn and look up at his hatred-filled eyes.

“What do you mean we’re over?” he hisses.

“I mean, I’m done with you.”

“Because of Will?”

“No, because you’re rude and treat me horribly.”

He gives a loud and long laugh. “Me? Rude? Have you met you? You’re the rudest person I know. And it’s not just that; its’ Will.”

“It doesn’t matter, Danny. I’m going home now.”

“He doesn’t care about you,” he spits, “He was using you for Matt. He doesn’t love you and you know it. When you first met him, he said he didn’t date, remember? Why do you think he would change for you? Hate to break it to you, but you’re not that special.”

“I hate you.”

“Oh darling, the feeling is mutual.”

I pull my arm away quickly, which now holds nail indentions and blood. Tears sting in my eyes and I take off sprinting down the sidewalk. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew what he said is true. Will is just using me. I knew that the moment I heard about the deal they made. I was a pawn in their little game and now I feel more worthless than ever.

A small silver car pulls up beside me and I come to a halt when the window rolls down. “Get in,” Molly demands.

I climb in and awkwardly sit in discomfort with my hands in my lap. “Thanks,” I say.

“What did he say to you?”

“He said that Will doesn’t care about me and he’s just using me.”

“Honey, you know that’s a lie.”

“Is it?” I turn to face her with tears tempting to spill.