Part Five

I wake up in the middle of the night missing Will so much I can physically feel it, so I roll over and snuggle up to him.

“Hey babe,” he says.

I jerk back and fling my eyes open to Danny’s cold blue ones and inch away. “Hey.”

“You never snuggle up to me. Is something wrong?”

“No. I just um… I’m thirsty. I’ll be right back.”

“Get me some water,” he grumbles into the pillow and closes his eyes.

I slide out of the bed and go to the room he’s fixed up like a kitchen to drown myself in two bottles of water from the mini fridge before I break out in sobs. I miss Will. I miss him so much and I feel so stupid for letting him go so easily. The only thing that will make me feel better is to go home, but it’s freezing outside; too cold to walk and Miles is still out of town.

I stare at my phone and decide I should just call Will. He won’t be up and I can listen to his voicemail, which will at least satisfy my need to hear his voice and I can just tell him I sleep dialed him, right?

After the second ring he answers, his voice husky from lack of sleep and I freeze. “Um, hey,” I say in a whisper.

“Anne?” he says.

“Yeah.” His voice makes me feel relieved and depressed all at the same time.

“Honey, why are you calling me so late?”

“Um, I don’t know. I couldn’t sleep…”

He sighs in the background. “Where are you?”

“Danny’s,” I regretfully reply.

“I’m coming to get you.”

“No!” I shout and hope it didn’t wake Danny up. I turn to the doorway but I don’t see or hear anything. I’m sure he’s still snoring loudly and drooling anyway.

“Why not?” he growls, but still attempts to keep his voice calm.

“Because he’ll get mad at me,” I whisper.

“Not if I have anything to do it. I’ll be there soon.”

“Will-”

“This is the first time you’ve said my name in two weeks and now there is no stopping me. Be ready.” Click.

I just stare at my phone. What am I supposed to tell Danny? There’s no way he’ll go down without a fight so I take a deep breath and walk back into his room. He’s sprawled out across the bed tangled in the sheets. I chew on my lip and shove him until he wakes.

“Yeah?” he mumbles.

“I’m leaving,” I say.

“What?” He sits up and rubs the sleep out of his eyes.

“Yeah. Miles just got back in town.”

“It’s four in the morning, just go back to sleep.”

“No. I’m leaving.”

“Why are you so stubborn?” he grumbles.

“I’m not stubborn; I’m just leaving,” I defend. I grab my backpack and fling it over my shoulder quickly before stepping out of the bedroom and going down the stairs. His roommates are on the couch in the living room and when I enter they both turn to smile at me leaving me tempted to go back upstairs with Danny.

“Hey Anne,” Matt says.

“Why are you up so early?” Razor asks.

“She wants to party with the real men,” Dave says walking out of the kitchen.