Chapter Two- Reunion

[Reunion]

*Matthew*

January 15, 2016

I step through the threshold of the three story, white stoned house and shut the Cherry wooden french doors behind me. I run a hand through my tousled hair and peek out of the corner of my eye, to the family room on my right. Quickly observing that it is empty, I bypass the stairs and head down the hallway that leads to the living room, dining room and kitchen.

The living room is large, with two story high-risen ceilings and a stone fireplace. There are two twin, black leather couches; one is a love seat and the second is slightly larger. They are turned to face the fireplace and the TV, which is mounted above. In the middle is a glass coffee table that looks more expensive than it really was. 

I squint at the black screen, wondering why the house is so silent. 

Just as the thought enters my mind, a loud clatter of pots and pans sounds from the kitchen and I let out a sigh. Shaking my head, I look to my right at the open concept kitchen to see Donovan standing there, holding a medium sized skillet in his hands. He carries a sheepish look on his face, his lengthy black hair falling in front of his obsidian eyes. 

"Welcome home, Matty." He calls, now sporting a stupid smile as I walk towards him warily. 

"Why are you in the kitchen?" I question. 

Donovan is my closest friend, mostly for the fact that he does not fight. I have lived the last ten years, surrounded by meat-heads who think they are the toughest and the strongest. Austin, my manager, is more of a father figure to me now. I have only one other friend, Natalia. She fights and is as air-headed and cocky as the guys. 

I found her one day, fighting off a group of guys who were attempting rape. She was strong. She didn't shake like a leaf or blubber like a baby. She fought them off and when I intervened to help, she demanded that I teach her how to fight.

So, I took Talia under my wing, about five years ago. Austin looks after her, as well as me. She has become my sister in every way, other than blood. Just as Donovan is my brother and Austin is my father. 

Of course, Austin will never replace my real father. No one can, and no one will. But in this business, it is best to have reliable allies. And I trust all three of them with my life.

Donovan runs one of the auto shops I own. He keeps the business running; he is the boss and the only person he reports to is myself. 

I bought this three story house two years ago, after saving up from all of my winnings. The house is one hundred thousand dollars shy of a million. It is large, and I am sure we do not need a house of this size for only the four of us. But my family deserves the best.

"Talia taught me how to make pancakes a while back. I'm now hungry, and I'm testing my skills." I try not to smile as I step forward and take a seat at the island bar. I rest my elbows are the dark granite counter top and watch as Donovan works. 

I try not to laugh as he slams the eggs onto the side of the bowl and pieces of shell fall into the batter. Donovan scrambles to pick them out, yet I know he is getting frustrated. By the time it comes to flipping the pancakes, he lets out a disgruntled growl and throws the spatula onto the counter. He steps away from the oven and holds his hands up in surrender.

"How did I manage to survive before you and Tali? Huh? How did I not suffer from food poisoning or even starvation? Clearly, I must not have eaten, since I can't even make myself pancakes!" Donovan rants. I let out a snicker and shrug my shoulders, leaning back on the bar stool.