Chapter Twenty One- Surprise

[Surprise]

*Lyla*

June 17, 2016

I look in the mirror, biting my bottom lip at the short haired woman before me. I hardly recognize myself, anymore. The dark circles under my eyes have vanished, the hollowness in my cheeks are beginning to fill out and the weight I lost is slowly piling on. And my hair... My hair is now nearly the same length as Matthew's. 

I'm not sure how he feels about it, but I am overjoyed that it is growing back, and just as thick as before. The color is slightly darker, but I am sure a few hours a day in the sun will help lighten it. 

The strength I have regained is remarkable. I know I will not be tossing hay bales or lifting saddles any time soon, but I can successfully walk up the stairs without feeling out of breath or faint. I can now join Matthew at the gym... To help him with his exercises in any way that I can. 

Matthew still treats me as if I am a china doll, however. And I don't expect that to ever change. 

I have overcome a type of cancer not many overcome. Leukemia is blood cancer... It's not a tumor that can be removed. But I beat it. I know I have to wait five years to be officially cured, but I can feel it within me. 

I am cured. 

After a few visits with my doctor, Matthew and I have come to the conclusion that we are going to adopt in the future. There are many kids that need a home and even though this child will not be fabricated from our love, he will be treasured and cherished as if he was.

Warm arms slide around my waist and I look up in the mirror to see Matthew dressed in his suit and tie. I internally purr at how handsome he is. Matthew dips his head down to place a warm kiss to the crook of my neck. 

"Going into the office today?" I ask, closing my eyes. 

"I'll be back around five. Remember, we have a date. Wear that dress I bought you, please." I smile instinctively at the reminder of the beautiful midnight blue dress that brings out my eyes. 

There was no chance I was going to say no to Matthew, especially after he pleaded me. 

I turn in his arms, looping my own around his neck. "Are you going to tell me where we're going?" I ask softly, playing with the hair at the back of his neck. 

Matthew rests his forehead against my own, gently squeezing my hips. "Of course not, baby. You'll just have to wait and see." Matthew flashes me his wide smile that shows both rows of teeth. I feel my stomach twist at how beautiful he is. 

"I love you." I whisper. Matthew places a soft kiss against my lips and moans before he takes a step back.

"And I love you so much more, Lyla Gentry." 

~*~

"How's Donny?" I lay my head on Bianca's shoulder, letting out a tired sigh as Family Feud plays on the TV screen. Bianca is silent for a moment and I know she is either blushing or smiling... Perhaps both. 

I never thought to introduce the two, even though Donovan is honestly the sweetest man I know- yes, even sweeter than Matthew- and would treat her with so much respect and love. I am glad they met when I was in the hospital during chemo. 

I was with Donovan, playing some stupid video game while Matthew was at work. I almost forgot about my appointment, would have if Matthew didn't shoot me a reminder. Businessmen never forget appointments. Matthew also threatened Donovan into taking me, though I am sure he would have willingly gone. I asked Bianca to drive me home, since I was going to be an unpleasant sight and didn't want to trouble Donovan any further.