Chapter Four- Wasted!

[Wasted!]

*Matthew*

January 18, 2016

The limo pulls away from Gateway farms, heading straight for my home.

To say I was surprised to see Lyla standing beside Tami is an understatement. When Austin asked me to pick up his daughter, I couldn't refuse. I have grown a brotherly bond with Tami and I admire her, whenever she is over at the house.

Tami lives with her aunt and uncle in Romeoville, Illinois. After her mother abandoned Tami and Austin, Austin went slightly mad. He got into a few dangerous situations that resulted in him being on probation and losing custody of his daughter. As years have gone by and Austin's sobriety remains in tact, more visitation has been granted.

Tami visits every Monday, after horseback riding and spends the nights every other weekend. Donovan, Talia and I had been interviewed and thoroughly investigated before they allowed Tami to enter the house.

When Tami wished Lyla well, I couldn't help the concern that seemed to settle in the pit of my stomach. How was Lyla unwell? She looked plenty healthy, standing there with a smile and blush to her cheeks.

I have never seen someone so comfortable, than Lyla was when she was with her horse. I admire her unique passion.

"How sick is Lyla?" I ask Tami. She is sitting across from me, twirling her messy hair around her finger. Her gaze is focused out the window.

"She said she was gonna be taking medicine that was going to make her loopy." Tami shrugs, not necessarily answering my question.

I doubt Lyla would have told an eight year old just how sick she was. Even if she did put a name to it, I'm sure it would be false. People don't leave for months at a time for the common flu.

Does she have Mono?

Perhaps some sort of disease?

Dare I say it... Cancer?

I turn my head to look out the window, my jaw locking as I think of her being terminally ill.

Grow a pair, you have only met this girl three times.

And the first doesn't really count... I was short with her and the conversation was minimal.

But I knew, since she spilled that coffee on me and her frightened expression took place, that she was different. That she was going to be different to me.

I have never wanted a girlfriend. They're difficult and time-consuming. Two things I can't have when I'm training for my fights. I need to be focused, dedicated.

However, I just asked Lyla to see a concert with me on Friday. I was planning on giving these tickets to Talia, so she could go with whoever she wished. But now, I have a date.

It will be the first date I've been on since Sophomore year.

My first date since my parents died.

~*~

"Talia, here." I clap my boxing mitt covered hands and lift them, taking my stance as Talia pants in front of me. Her hazel eyes zero in at my hands and then jabs forward, hitting with brute force. I nod my head, encouraging her as she continues strikes, throwing in a few pivots and whenever I go to make a hit, she successfully blocks or ducks.

As if we are in sync, we both drop out hands and step out of our stances. Talia smiles, bouncing up and down on her toes. I cross my arms, watching her. She has definitely grown stronger since I picked her up. Talia is dressed in tight dark green spandex shorts and a gray sports bra. Her toned stomach is visible and I see a hint of abs beginning to form. Her brown hair is pulled back into a high pony tail. Sweat drips from her forehead.