de-4-briefed

David stared out the window of his office, not really looking at anything in particular. His hands were unknowingly clenched in his lap, hidden from view by his desk. Thoughts swirling around him so violently, it clouded all of his senses, including his hearing.

"David!?"

"Yes?" He ripped himself away from the window to meet the silent intruder in his office that maybe, perhaps, wasn't all that silent. He cleared his throat and out of habit, readjusted his tie.

"Dave man, that was the third time I called your name." David's friend, Victor, stepped fully into the office and shut the door behind him. Victor happened to not only be his good friend from college, but also a colleague, in charge of a different department of the same company.

He cleared his throat again. "I was just preoccupied." He wasn't too sure if he wanted to let his friend, Vic in out just what he had been thinking or visualizing about.

"Clearly."

"Okay. Now that you've got my attention?"

"It's related to that new Japanese client and the upcoming annual conference; we're looking at a SE meeting later today."

David hummed in response as Vic took a seat opposite of him, looking at him with that look that only promised trouble for the one on the receiving end. "What's up with you? You know, you've been kind of distracted ever since...Greens; which, by the way, you never told me what happened with that?

David just glanced at Victor, noncommittally.

"You seem troubled. Was she a bitter? No wait, did she talk about her two cats named Bill and Hilary Clinton while you were fucking her?"

"No.
He stared at Vic with an incredulous look on his face before he considered the question.
"But we did talk about cats some."

David swore he heard Vic mutter "should've gone with head," and shake his own head to rid himself of some memory, before he looked back up.

"Look I'm sorry man, from what I saw, she looked like good catch. If I would have known..." He frowned. David caught on to what Victor was putting down.

"No. She was fine. Great, actually."
He paused. A small wistfully smile formed on his face. He had hardly noticed himself drifting off before Vic brought him back.

"Then what's the problem?" David pursed his lips, thinking, before he produced the sweat-ridden, crinkled paper that he had been subconsciously staring at for the last 30 minutes, and most of the night before.

"This." He handed it over. "She gave me her number."
"She was different. Just the way she carried herself. Challenging....in more ways in than one." He smiled quietly as images flashed before him reminding him just how much of a challenge she could be.

"And you want to know if you should call her?"

David remained silent. He knew how he felt about the woman during their night together, but that didn't mean he was seeking long-term investment in something that could be merely infatuation.

"David. You've been carrying around this women's number for the past day. I think, that's your answer."

-----------