Chapter 2

It was a slow jazzy number and Josh took Devon in his arms, holding her close as he moved her around the floor. Suddenly tired, she rested her head on his shoulder as she sighed.

"When was the last time we danced together?" he asked.

"More than ten years ago." Devon smiled at the memory.

"Has it been that long?" Devon listened to his voice as it rumbled through his hard chest. He had rested his head on hers as they swayed. They weren't dancing so much as they were hugging.

Devon realized that she didn't want a dance she wanted to be held, but not just by anyone, only by Josh, and that wouldn't do. She broke away from him with a smile. "Why don't we go and get some food. I can feel the Smother's eye's watching us with displeasure."

"I don't suppose you know why?" he asked.

"Oh I know why, but I think we should get some food first," Devon insisted.

"And some liquid fortification," Josh added.

"That too," she agreed.

They silently made their way to the kitchen and started to raid the pantry and fridge, moving around the catering company who looked at them as if they were crazy. With their arms full, Josh pushed her out of the backdoor and down the hill towards the guesthouse and pool. It looked so quiet and peaceful compared to what lay behind them.

"I'm surprised the Smothers put us both in the guesthouse," Devon said as she threw open the sliding door that led from the pool's patio into the kitchen area. There was a table between the door and the kitchen bar and she threw the stuff she was carrying onto it.

It was early fall in Virginia and the leaves had started to turn, but the evening was warm enough that they could leave the door open to enjoy the music coming down from the main house on the hill. "I'll change first, my feet hurt," Devon insisted as she moved towards the bedroom she had chosen for herself, trying to think of what she could wear to impress Josh.

"Stop it!" she chided herself as she closed the door. This was Josh, sure they had one make-out session ten years ago, but they had both moved on and there was no need to impress him.  He was the same old Josh, besides he probably had a girlfriend.

Choosing not to dwell on her last thought, she pulled on a pair of cotton shorts and an old cotton t-shirt, opting to go barefoot and deciding to leave her hair as it was to save time. The change took her less than five minutes, and she beat Josh back to the kitchen. She was rifling through the bags, trying to decide what she could make when his door opened.

The house was one giant open floor plan.  There was the main living area with the kitchen at one end and the doors to the two bedrooms at the other. Each bedroom had its own bathroom.

She glanced up with a smile already on her face, and it was a smile she had to force as she saw Josh.  Gone was his impeccable suit, he was wearing a pair of well-worn jeans and a tight grey colored t-shirt that made his eyes look more grey than the tie had. He was even more fit than he had been in college if that was possible. His muscles bulged under his t-shirt and she could make out the edge of a tattoo circling his bicep.

Josh was watching her intently from across the room as she took in his appearance.

"Does your Mother know about that tattoo?" Devon teased as she forced herself to start pulling out the makings for sandwiches. After a quick look in the fridge, which she stood in front of a little too long, she realized she could make them Monte Cristos. "How about Monte Cristos?" she asked.

"Sure," he agreed as he walked out onto the patio and looked back up towards the house.

"Why don't you make yourself a little useful and pour us some wine," Devon suggested as she reached for a pan.