Chapter 13

Devon had neither seen nor heard from Josh or any of the guys since he had left her office with Kellan four weeks earlier. When she had gotten home that evening, four weeks ago, it was to find a letter left from Bree saying that she had left. She would see her at the wedding festivities, and to be sure to remember to bring both Kellan and Josh with her. Since she had not heard from either one of them and she was set to leave the following morning, she wasn't sure if the last request was going to be possible.

She was still helping Nina at the bar, and the long cold nights had made them busy. Shane had been avoiding Devon which didn't surprise her. It was what most of Bree's past victims did when she was done with them.  She could never tell if they ignored her due to their embarrassment or if Bree had made them so mad that they were mad at her because of association. Devon was thinking hard on this when Grant looked at her and laughed.

"You seem to be thinking on something pretty intense over there." Grant sipped his beer as his gaze wandered to where Nina was at the other end of the bar.

"When Bree and you called it quits, why were you mad at me?" Devon turned to the man she had been serving and passed him another beer with a sweet smile.

"What's brought this up now?" Grant said, confused.

"Shane is ignoring me, and I am finally trying to figure out the why of it?'

Grant nodded. "It wasn't all that hot and heavy between us, and when I realized that it was never going to be I wanted to get back at you. I can't speak for Shane, but in my case I was angry because I had made a big mistake in choosing your sister over you. When it was all over, and I had caught onto your sister's evil ways, I was also ashamed of myself."

Devon looked at him, her eyes wide. Had he really given up on them? Is that what all the other guys she had dated had been thorough as well? Had she been the one in the wrong by continuing to date guys that she knew were never going to interest her? Was this her whole dating history summed up in a few pathetic sentences?

Grant gave he a gentle smile as he watched her sort thought her feelings.

"I always thought Bree was better than me, better looking, funnier, more charming, but you're saying that the reason you dated her was to get back at me?" There was no way Bree was smart enough to know that all of her boyfriends were easy marks because of the way she kept them at arm's length, and if she did know that then she might be truly evil to take advantage of them in that way.

"Did you ever tell Bree about our relationship; that you felt that way about it?" Devon asked trying to figure it all out.

Grant snorted into his glass. "No, that would have been like forgetting to wear a cup in a wrestling match. She would have used it against me quickly." But he frowned as he thought for a minute. "You have a natural ability to read people and their moods and thoughts. I think Bree has that same ability but to a lesser extent. She only knows how to read people when it's for her gain."

Devon was quiet and thoughtful. It was evident that she couldn't date anymore, maybe she was the evil one to lead men along that she had no interest in at all. It hadn't been her intention, she had always secretly hoped that one would replace Josh in her heart so that she could forget about him.

"Stop it, Devon. Stop beating yourself up about the past. You didn't do any of it on purpose. You have never been able to help your charm and sweetness. One of the things that draws men to you is that you're completely unaware of how beautiful you are. You're the girl next door. I could never be mad at you because you never did anything on purpose, you're one of the most honest people I know."

"I'm sorry Grant," Devon said reaching for his hand.

"It's alright, and I forgive you. It all turned out the way it should have in the end." He looked over at Nina and gave her a wink.