Chapter 7

That Friday saw Devon back behind the bar, and the house was packed.  It took everything she and Nina had to keep the drinks flowing and the customers happy. Somehow word had gotten out that she knew Josh from way back, and most of the women kept trying to get her to talk about him. Women who had never before given her the time of day were suddenly pretending to know her.

It was like high school all over again.

"I've noticed you've made a lot of new friends," Nina said just before closing.  Will was sitting at one end of the bar chatting up women but Josh and Kellan were being chatted up.

"Yes, I do, don't I? It must be my winning personality." Devon grinned and winked.

"Did you hear that Josh? Devon has a winning personality," Nina crowed across the bar.

"So I've heard," Josh said with a bored expression.

Nina had been trying to draw Josh out through Devon and it hadn't been working.

"Nina," Devon raised her voice for all to hear. "No one has ever been very successful drawing Josh out through me. Trust me many have tried."

"Hence, all of your new friends." Nina nodded.

"Just like high school," Devon agreed.

"No way, you two went to high school together?" Betty squealed.  "Tell us all about Josh in high school." She set a tray on the bar and took a stool. "Tell us something that no one knows, a secret."

Devon had learned that Betty had a massive crush on Josh.

Josh sipped his beer, watching Devon as she wiped glasses and stored them overhead.

Grant joined them at the bar with a kiss for Devon and Nina. "You're in awful close to closing time," Nina said as she handed him a beer.

"Better late than never." He grinned as he took a swig from his bottle. "Besides, I couldn't resist seeing you two."

"Come on Devon, tell us all about high school with Josh, what was he like?" Betty urged.

"Yeah, did he have pimples or was he a fat kid." Will laughed. "I've been trying to get some dirt on Josh for over a month." He slapped Josh on the shoulder, "All Devon will say was that if it was something that you wanted people to know you would tell them yourself."

Devon had noted that there was some tension between Will and Josh, and it seemed to be getting worse. Will was always trying to pick a fight with Josh but Josh wouldn't acknowledge it.

"Should I share something, Josh?" Devon asked, a playful smile on her lips as she thought about the Josh she had known.

"Just remember, I know just as much about you." Josh smiled back. There was a pause as everyone looked at Josh and his killer smile. She guessed that it rarely made an appearance.

"So, not the principle's wife?" Devon asked innocently.

Josh laughed. "No, please, don't tell that one."

Again there was silence as everyone looked between her and Josh.

"I see the wheels turning in your head Devon. Don't make me tell tales on you." Josh warned.

"There are no tales to tell, Josh." She shrugged. Not unless he wanted to tell everyone about Bree and most everyone knew about that.

"Oh, I can think of one or two, Firefly," he said in a low voice that only she could hear since she was standing right in front of him, and it made Devon's mind race back to a kiss and a treehouse. She managed to play it cool but barely.