Chapter 9

The next few weeks went by with no word from Bree or her mother. She finished teaching the SEALs and had cut back on helping Nina at the bar. She and Kellan had been spending a lot of time together while she helped him with his dissertation.

Somehow her place had become the new place to hang out on Sundays when the bar was closed. There was always a full fridge and everyone brought their own alcohol. Football season was in high gear so, between her and Josh's place, the downstairs of the old house was always full.

This is how Bree found the place the Sunday before Thanksgiving when she wandered in without warning. Devon was sitting on the couch having a serious conversation with Kellan and Grant about Millennials and their outlook on life versus Generation X, with Nina also having her say, when Bree walked in looking gentle and soft in a soft pink sweater and a very tight pair of old blue jeans.

Devon couldn't hide her shock at seeing her sister as she stood in her doorway with what, Devon could only guess, was supposed to be an unsure woe is me look.

"Devon?" she asked with uncharacteristic timidity. "I didn't know you were having a party, I can come back later."

Grant, who had been facing away from the door, froze with his beer halfway to his mouth and shuddered at her voice. Devon rolled her eyes and swatted playfully at him.

"It's your own fault," she whispered as she stood. "Of course not, come on in, would you like a drink?"

"Sure." Bree agreed.

"A beer?" Kellan asked, holding up an extra one from the table in front of them.

Bree shook her head, "No, a soda if it's not too much trouble."

"No trouble," Kellan said as he rose from his chair, "I just have to go across the hall to get it." He knew that Devon had sodas in her fridge so her guess was that Kellan was going across the hall to warn Josh.

Bree moved to sit in the place on the couch next to where Kellan had been sitting. After she made herself comfortable she looked around and saw three pairs of eyes watching her warily. Nina, Grant, and Devon, all three of them knew that she was pretending to be meek and she realized it as she saw them watching her.

"What are you doing here?" Bree rudely asked Grant.

"I'm here every Sunday my dear Bree." He sipped his beer watching her with what could only be described as a disgusted look.

"I see you're still hanging around," she said to Nina who was sharing the love seat with Devon.

"Yep, good friends are harder to get rid of than family." She raised her beer to her before she took a drink.

"Why are you here Bree?" Devon asked, looking up as Kellan came in with a drink and Will hot on his heels. Kellan handed Bree the drink then sat next to her as she had planned. He looked over and winked at Devon before he reached for his beer again.

Will walked over to the love seat and wedged himself between Nina and Devon. "This is the best seat in the house!" He continued to try to get comfortable 'accidentally' copping the occasional feel as he settled into his chosen spot. Everyone was so focused on the show he was putting on, and Nina and Devon were doing their best to block his wandering hands and arms, that no one noticed as Josh lounged in the doorway.

"Where are you gonna sit, Josh?" Will asked as he put his feet up on the table.

"He can have my seat," Devon said, getting up quickly.

"Josh!" Bree exclaimed and raced to embrace him.

Josh let her throw herself into his arms like he always did, and he forced a smile when Bree looked up at him. "Oh, how wonderful. What are you doing here?"