one

He hates me.

I hate him.

It's a mutual relationship.

Whenever there is an opportunity for us to get in each other's nerves, we take it.

I don't remember exactly how long ago this started, maybe sometime two years ago, but now, it wouldn't be a normal school day if there wasn't some sort of prank, annoyance or harsh words being thrown at each other.

I can see Louis' figure making its way slowly towards me, his right hand swiping that stupid side fringe he always has, away from his eyes. I let out a snort, mentally laughing at his choice in hairstyle. He kind of reminded me of a porcupine. 

Once he reaches me, Louis sends me a mischievous glance, and I can practically hear the banter he's going to give me.

"Hey Sam, you look ugly today," he says, a tiny speckle of his spit landing on my chin.

"Ugh, Louis, say it don't spray it you jerk," I reply back as I wipe the area with the back of my hand and turn away from him so I can open my locker and gather my books.

Louis laughs, completely unfazed by my choice of words, but rather amused by the effect he has created.

To be honest, I'm not so into the whole hating each other deal as much as I used to be, in fact, it's been so long of this constant hatred and inconveniences toward each other that over the past couple of months, it's been getting to be more of a burden in my life.

There is only so much you can do to make someone hate you even more than they already do. 

And if you didn't know us, you would just assume we were just two friends who loved to tease each other, but that's far from the truth.

"Your breath stinks, Louis, get away," I say with a monotone voice. It didn't sound sincere at all, but rather muffled and low. 

I gently sigh, thinking about how much of a robot I sounded after constantly repeating the same harsh words to reply with.

"What's wrong Sam? Did your father keep you up last night?" he replies. The mention of my father stings my heart a little more than usual. My father was an alcoholic who loved making an idiot of himself at home, and Louis knew it. He knew it was a sensitive topic but chose to attack me with it. 

He never dragged this low. I was taken aback.. and quite disappointed

"Mhm, well no," I try to say with as much disinterest in my voice as possible, "but I bet your  mother kept you up all night while she banged boyfriend number three of the year". My words sound terribly crude as I say them, but he hit a sensitive spot with my family, and I couldn't help but hit back just as hard.

I know I've hit a nerve by the way his eyes widened for a tiny second before returning to their usually angry stare, I could visibly see one of his forehead veins becoming more prominent by the second.  He was a very angry porcupine.

"Yeah, well at least she's home, unlike yours," he retorts. Ouch again. It felt like someone adding alcohol to a fresh wound. 

He's never mentioned my mother before. I guess I really did hit a nerve today.

This wasn't how it usually was. 

For the most part, we usually tease each other, say dumb things and simply aim to annoy, but we don't usually talk about our families like this. 

I don't know why today is different, but I hated it already.

I had been in school for less than ten minutes and I already hated it.