DIRTY 29

IT rained heavily at that night. In one dark room, Nadine hid herself there while hugging tightly her old teddy bear. Her small that full of bruises and wounds, was shivering with fear. She was not afraid of thunder or lightning, but she was afraid of loud voice outside her room. The dreaded voice was punctuated by the crying of her mother.

Lately, her father's temper had worsened and almost every night, the house would fill with the crying of agony. The crying was not only from Mrs.Hailey but from Nadine that was also the victim of his anger. Both of them were no longer his wife and daughter, but they had become the toys for him to unleash his anger.

"Enough and stop it!" Mrs.Hailey begged him to be released. She had enough and afraid her body was no longer strong to receive his tortures. Plus she afraid that she wouldn't be able to protect Nadine after this.

"Oh, you are fighting me back now!" he screamed angrily until it startled Nadine once again. That kid didn't know what to do but cried in fear. For many times she wanted to protect Mrs.Hailey at least for once, but her mother forbade her to leave the room. Nadine had no choice but obeyed her words.

"Dear Lord, please save my mother from that devil. Please take him away from us. He is not deserves to be called a father because he is not human!" she cursed that devil endlessly. It was so embarrassed to have an evil father, and how she wished that she wasn't made from his seed. The loud bang from her door room almost made her heart stopped beating because she knew that it was her turn to be the toy for that devil to unleash his madness.

"Hey, open this door! If you don't want to die, open this door!" Huh! To Nadine, it wasn't a wise choice either to stay alive when every day she almost got killed by her own father. How she wished to end her life now but the one should die wasn't her or Mrs.Hailey, but that evil bastard. Bang! The endless banging sound somehow gradually turned her body into statue.

"Please! Please save me, dear Lord!" her teary eyes wandered around the dark room, trying to find the safest place to hide. At least she was trying although her effort was useless.

"Save me! Save my Mom! Save us!" she tightened the hug around teddy bear, as if that lifeless toy could awake and protect her from any danger. Few seconds later, the surrounding suddenly became silent. What was going on? Was God heard her prayer?

Where did her father disappear? Did he go out to have drink at this hour? If he went out, she wished that he would never return to home. Nadine braved herself to come out from her hiding and checked on Mrs.Hailey. Her mother must be unconscious since she was so quiet when her father wanted to break into this room.

Nadine went to the door, leaving her lifeless knight behind. Her heart beat irregularly as the distance getting shorter. What if her father still here when she stepped out from this room? She never thought about that possibility since in her mind was only Mrs.Hailey.

Please! Save her! Before she was able to unlock the door, someone had done it before her. Quickly her small body ran away from there to hide somewhere, but there was no any safe place for her in this room. She was going to die in that devil's hands.

"Where do you want to hide?! You should listen to me just now, kid!" she screamed the minute that devil barged into her room. Tears of fear streamed down again while she sought the protection from her 'knight'. Even thought the room was dark, but she could see that devil was approaching her with a stick of broom in his hand. Huh, Nadine cursed him again. All the respect and love she had for him had disappeared. The feeling that only left inside her was hatred.