Selfish

~ An AU Anidala One Shot ~

Chancellor Palpatine, dressed in all black, stood before the Republic outside of the Senate building. To his right was a hologram picture of General Anakin Skywalker, a highly respected Jedi Knight. To his left was a hologram of Senator Padme Amidala, a widely admired public figure. This was their official announcement; this was the breaking news of the war. "My fellow citizens of the Republic, it is with a heavy heart that I come to you today." He began with a solemn voice. "This morning, Senator Amidala and General Skywalker were found dead in the Senator's apartment after what appears to be a double suicide. Though I could explain all of the details myself, the pair left behind one last message for you all." He stepped back from his podium, looking up to the projected screen overhead.

~

"Is it working?"

The video begins with the image of Padme sitting on the end of her bed. "Yeah, it's recording. Are you ready to do this? Last chance to back out, Angel." Anakin comes in from the left, sitting beside her. "It was my idea, I'm sure. I'm just nervous for their reactions." He leans over and kisses her temple. "That's why were making this video, which was my idea." She sighs, straightening up as they both look at the camera.

"If you're seeing this, it means that you've found us and that we are one with the force." She begins, glancing at her counterpart. "In case you don't know us, I'm Anakin Skywalker and this is my wife, Padme Amidala-Skywalker. This is our final message to you all, the people of the Republic." He pulls her to his side, wrapping his left arm around her waist. "Before any of you freak out about our departure, we need to come clean and tell you a story. Please, keep an open mind and listen to us before you judge." Padme laid her head on his shoulder.

"When I was around fourteen, I was serving as Queen of Naboo. My ship had problems with its engine so my party and I had to land on a nearby planet, which was Tatooine. It was there I first met my husband, who was only nine years old at the time." A soft smile graced her lips, her brown eyes shifting to look up at him. "It wasn't initial attraction romantically speaking but this little boy definitely caught my eye. We met in a junk shop and the first thing he ever said to me was-"

"'Are you an angel?' I can't believe I said something so cheesy but hey, it sorta worked." Anakin chuckled, pressing a soothing kiss to her forehead. "I was a slave at the time; I had been all my life up until a week after we met. Thanks to the late Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, I gained my freedom through the Boonta Eve 500 pod race. I was the first human who had ever won and I certainly am pleased by my real prize." Padme reached out and took his free hand within both of her own. "We brought him with us to Naboo once our ship was fixed. He helped our planet escape the Trade Federation by blowing up the blockade from the inside. Can I just remind you all that he was only nine?"

He smiled, giving her a squeeze. "Anyways, after the battle and liberation of Naboo, Master Qui-Gon was killed by a Sith apprentice called Darth Maul, who was killed shortly after by Obi-Wan Kenobi, Master Qui-Gon's padawan learner. Because he was so hell bent on training me. the council passed me to Obi-Wan who took me on as his padawan learner." She shut her eyes, still holding his free hand. "Skip ahead ten years and we meet again; this time, I'm a senator instead of a Queen and he's all grown up."

"She's still being targeted because she's amazing at what she does and bad guys don't like it." He reaches up and pokes her cheek, causing her to playfully smack the back of her hand against his stomach. "Anyways, since I was being targeted, the Chancellor and the Jedi Council assigned Anakin to be my protector and sends us into hiding on Naboo. We go to my home planet and stay at this beautiful lake house in Varykino. It was there that we had the first of many kisses, our first kiss being out on the balcony. He was so shy, barely touching me, looking at me with those big blue eyes..." They both chuckle, stealing a quick peck. "I was lame, telling her how much I hate sand and saying how soft her skin was... I was so shocked that she continued to associate herself with me after that garbage." Anakin smirks, looking anywhere but at the camera and his wife.