CHAPTER 15

Many many happy returns for the day blabbermouth! This is for you. I love you. May God bless you in abundance baby. Love, V.

Nandini stirred as a ray of light fell on her face. Slowly, she opened her eyes and sat up. This was not her room! She rubbed her eyes and remembered yesterday's events. God! Had that all really happened yesterday? The bandage on her arm proved that it had.

She got up from the bed and stretched. She felt rejuvenated. She walked over to the window and looked out. The sunlight was falling beautifully on the resort's gardens. She looked at the clock and gasped. It was 11 a.m.! She didn't know at what time she had slept yesterday but she had definitely slept for more than 12 hours! And she was in Mrs. Malhotra's suite. Damn!

She gasped when the room's door opened but relaxed immediately when she saw it was Sasha.

"Good morning!" Sasha said brightly and gave her a warm hug.

It was almost good afternoon!

"Good morning" Nandini murmured, surprised but pleased with the hug.

"I had come to wake you up. Did you sleep well?"

"I- yes, thank you."

"Good. Whatever you need is there in the bathroom. So go and get ready. Then we'll go for lunch."

Lunch? Of course, she had been sleeping during the breakfast! Damn it!

"Oh no!" Mortified, she took Sasha's hand in hers. "I'm so sorry. I'll just-"

"Nandini!" Sasha called her name and shook her gently.

Nandini looked at her. Sasha smiled.

"Just relax, okay. Take your time- You are with family now" she finished in a soft voice.

"Oh- alright" Nandini murmured, suddenly feeling light-headed.

And relaxed she did get. They spent the day joyfully as all of them unwrapped the presents. She was pleasantly surprised to find out that all the family members had purchased gifts for her as well. She overcame with emotion when Abhimanyu, Mukti's husband wore the sweater Nandini had bought for him on-the-spot. Aniket thanked her for the watch and replaced it with the old one. Children were extremely happy with the chocolates, cars and the dolls she had got for them.

They ate, danced, joked, laughed and played. After a long time, she had celebrated such a great Christmas. Everything was perfect- except that Manik still wasn't talking to her. He had wished her a polite Merry Christmas and given her the gift he had got for her. She was going to treasure the lovely red scarf forever. She had caught him looking at her with an odd look several times. She hadn't been able to understand anything but it had been a relief to find out that his eyes weren't cold anymore. She hoped he liked the jacket she had gifted him.

There hadn't been any change in the behavior of Mrs. Malhotra and her daughters. They were still cordial, but, she couldn't help feeling that now, they were looking at her with more, respect. Not that it hadn't been there before, but it was certainly more this time.

She had spoken to Aryaman and Riddhima and had assured them that she was fine. Except... she wasn't, not really. Her heart ached for Manik. She wanted to be with him, really be with him and it hurt, really hurt to see him ignoring her and staying away from her.

After she had danced with Mr. Rajan around the bonfire, laughing all the time, she sat on a mat spread on the grass and watched Navya dancing with Cabir. They looked so good together, so much in love. Inexplicably, her eyes fell on Manik. He was laughing with the kids around him.