CHAPTER 16

"Nandini" he said huskily, then suddenly, he embraced her tightly. "Oh God! I can't believe I found you. I'd lost all hopes. How are you sweetheart?"

Too shocked to react, Nandini let him hold her and blabber. Harshad looked at her with a big smile and kissed her forehead.

That pulled her out of her shock!

"Harshad!" she exclaimed and pushed him away from her. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Looking for you" he replied and ran a hand across his hair.

Nandini frowned. There had been a time when she had found this habit of running his hand through his hair endearing. Now, it irritated her. And why hadn't she noticed before? He was too lean. She knew he was strong, but he didn't have any muscles. It looked, funny! She folded her arms across her chest.

"Why Harshad?" she asked coldly. "I thought we had said all that was needed that afternoon."

"I know and I'm sorry" He did look apologetic. "I was wrong Nandini. I made a bloody blunder. I shouldn't have chosen Soha over you-"

"Chosen?" She laughed mockingly. "You practically pushed me aside to get to her. One look, just one look at her had been enough for you!"

"I know. I know baby, and I'm sorry. Look baby-"

"Don't you baby me!" she shrieked. He stopped, shocked by her reaction. Nobody had been expecting it, least of all she herself. She took a deep breath. Shouting wouldn't solve anything. "Look Harshad" she said in a much calmer voice. "You made your choice at that time and I accepted it. Now I want you to extend the same courtesy to me. I've made my choice and it is that there's nothing left between us. Now, I want you to accept it."

"Nandini-"

"No Harshad! I haven't finished yet. I realized just now, the choice you made at that time, individually, it wasn't right for you but overall, it was right for us."

'What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that even if you hadn't chosen Soha, it still wouldn't have worked out between us. We might've been able to stretch it for some time, but in the long run, we would've made each other very unhappy."

"You don't mean that" he moved closer. "You know that's not true."

She stepped back, slightly alarmed by his behavior. He looked... desperate! She had never seen this side of him before. It was scaring her.

"I know what I'm saying, Harshad. And I mean it" she said in what she hoped was a solemn voice.

"No Nandini" he held her arms. She winced as his hand touched the place where Soha's fingernails had scratched her, but he didn't pay any attention and pulled her closer forcefully. "Baby, we're meant to be together!"

The hell they were! And to hell with the polite and civilized approach! Nandini braced herself to give Harshad a hard push when she felt him being pulled away ruthlessly. She stared in horror as she watched Manik punch Harshad's jaw that sent him sprawling on the road.

"Stay away from her!" Manik's face was frightening.

Harshad squirmed and got up slowly. His chin was covered in blood. And, like a coward, he hurried away. Nandini couldn't believe her eyes. She had been planning to marry this man!

She looked at Manik with a grateful smile which froze as soon as he turned to look at her. He might have saved her from the trouble but, he didn't believe her!