Prologue: Confrontation

Small rivers of tears from the blonde's aquamarine eyes run down his cheeks. Stay strong, he keeps telling himself. But he knows - the universe knows - that that task is not possible. Not after what he just witnessed. Which is why he has to continue grabbing his clothes from the dresser - their shared dresser - and throw them in his bags. He's just so angry. How can he say that? How can his best friend say something like that? On national television for the entire world to see? The small blonde feels humiliated. Ashamed that someone he truly cared about, someone he thought returned that same love and affection said such words. News reporters must be having field days. Isn't this what they wanted for the past seven months?

Niall is so lost in his own thoughts and emotions that he doesn't hear Liam. He doesn't hear the heavy stomps. The increasingly loud footfalls of the fighter. The fighter who right after his interview came speeding down roads and freeways to get back home. Because he knows he made a mistake. He knows that he messed up the best thing he ever had. But that thought only brings shame and the worst kind of pain - heartache - to his chest.

Liam clambers down the hall. Please still be there, please still be there, PLEASE! That's the only thing running through his head. Because all the brown-eyed fighter wants to do is talk. Talk because he wouldn't be able to take it if his best friend and love of his life is upset.

The fighter runs and stops just at the doorway of the bedroom - their bedroom. And the faint spark of hope shining his eyes gets smothered with the drop of his heart and the typhoon of defeat. Everything is dimmed. Their expressions, the atmosphere. Even the lights are faint; the waning light of the transition from afternoon to night is the only source. Still, Niall is too caught up in his own melancholy to notice the love of his life standing and watching with a sorrowful heart.

"What are you doing?" Liam asks, finally gathering up the courage to waver out his concern. Niall's head snaps up and his hands stop the haphazardly organizing of clothes and personal belongings. Taking a slow shaky and watery breath, the blonde turns around. And Liam knows he fucked up when he sees the blotchy redness of Niall's cheeks.

"I'm leaving," is Niall's whispered answer. Because if he raises his volume, he would start crying. Because if he raises his volume, Liam's heart would most definitely implode.

Liam, however, can't breathe. He stumbles back, those two words alone sending the worst blows in his entire career.

"W-w-w-why?"

Tears just spring from Niall's eyes. And Liam wishes - prays - that he has the will and strength to stride forward and wipe them away. Because he doesn't like it when his baby cries. But he doesn't. Instead, he stands where he is, knees starting to wobble with wavering support.

"Because I don't want you to live with a mistake anymore."

----------

Hey! Don't kill me because I haven't finished Fragile Heart, but I just couldn't resist. And to all those who want fluff, this book will have fluff. Just this and like three more chapters will be unnecessarily sad. Tell me what you think: if I should continue or not :)