Eleven Years Earlier

Seventh grade.

That is always a rough patch for a lot of people who are going through different stages of adolescence. A conflict of rampant emotions, some might call it. At the very beginning stages of that era of academia and social interaction, everyone is still - mostly - the same: innocent and naïve. A large majority have not given in to peer pressure just yet and they haven't become quite jaded by the many different things that society (the older kids of the school) deem "cool." But then something changes somewhere around the end of the first month and the beginning of the second month. Something inside of some (most) people just flips. Whatever they thought was cool before is no longer that way and the thing or things that were just plain bad - the lessons of personal ethics that their parents and other authority figures in their lives taught them - are suddenly what they want to pursue. All because someone they like thinks its acceptable. Like some might call it, a conflict of rampant emotions. People at that age don't want to be seen as immature by those older than them - all they want to do is "fit in" - but they still aim to hold onto the wonderful relationships that they have forged during their more "youthful" years (because in the minds of some seventh graders who are already "cool" see themselves as "grown").

Much to the mental healths of Geoff and Karen Payne, Liam does not sway under the winds of societal middle school standards. So after that two month mark that usually pinpoints the "Transformation" as Geoff and Karen decided to call it, they had a talk with their young son during their drive back home from Liam's advanced martial arts class. And much to their chagrin and a huge blow to the eleven year-old's developing ego ("Mom! Dad! Seriously?! I wouldn't do anything like that!"), they honestly thought that Liam was going to turn into one of those stereotypical jocks. Not that they would let that happen, but somehow in their minds something like that was going to happen. Nicola and Ruth kind of sort of most definitely called it, too ("You guys are the worst!").

But in everyone's defense, they all thought that the signs were there. And when the entire family went down the list, Liam's embarrassment just flared. Because really, what did his parents and sisters think he was? Some of the reasons that spewed from their mouths were just ridiculous.

"Son, you've been asking for a 'different' wardrobe." Dad, what the heck?

"My clothes don't fit anymore. Which is why I need new clothes."

"Yeah, bu-"

Because the truth is, Geoff knows that Liam is right. Liam has been bulking up because of his new fervent passion for fighting and Geoff would consider himself a bad father if he didn't try to help in any way he can so that his son can actualize his potential. He became his personal coach, giving him drills to bring up his stamina and power in order to easily challenge and defeat opponents of both equal and larger size. Geoff even sometimes took Liam on early morning jogs, not only for Liam's benefit but his own as well. Also, it's not like Liam is asking  for clothes that are out of price range or a complete 180 in style. He is only asking for clothes that now fit his developing muscles. He'd also be lying if he takes a little pride in how handsome Liam is becoming, because come on, Liam James Payne inherited some good genes.

"Sweetheart, you don't ask for your favorite chocolate cake anymore." Ugh, Mom. That's because you were the one who said I should watch what I eat since "I have been taking martial arts more seriously."

"You were the one who said that I can't eat things like that anymore. Besides, every time you make it you scold me for taking too big of a slice."

All Karen can do is slump in defeat at Liam's wonderful logic. Because Karen does remember saying that. The minute that Liam announced that he wanted to be a professional fighter when he grows up two years ago when he exited from his first martial arts class, she couldn't help but coo at the sparkle of excitement and the fire of determination lighting up her son's chocolate brown eyes. And just like that, she became Liam's number one supporter (sometimes Karen and Geoff would have arguments over who holds that title, but she always wins). So she quickly moved into the position of giving a strict and specific diet. To be completely honest, it also helped the rest of the family eat a little better as well since they also fell in line with Karen's dietary schedule for Liam.