Nine Years Earlier

After the moment the two boys reconciled in the seventh grade, Liam James Payne and Niall James Horan-Malik are once again inseparable. It is very safe to assume that they have reverted back to their original way: being attached at the hip. Well, not necessarily attached at the hip. Their interactions become more - a lot more if the person to consider is tall, is starting to build his muscle mass and has warm brown eyes that crinkle when they catch gaze of blonde hair and expressive blue eyes - touchy feely than just being attached at the hip. In Liam's case, anyone in the hallways at school, in the cafeteria or out on the fields will see his toned tanned arm wrapped around Niall's smaller shoulders. And everyone who witnesses these newfound displays of touch (not really, they're just at a higher magnitude now) just think that the two boys are being absolutely adorable. The boys and girls alike would just silently coo (the girls more ready to admit it because apparently the boys have developing egos to protect) anytime the blonde and brunette would walk up and down the halls. Teachers would just smile fondly and have the same thought as Niall's old fourth grade teacher Mr. Hardy. What a story it would be if they continue down this path, they think whenever they see the blue eyes sparkle brightly accompanied with the lightest pink of blushes or the big, toothy grin with soft brown eyes. Even Zayn, the grumpy older brother who initially made it his life mission to find every little reason to be angry with Liam hanging out with his younger brother, is warming up and not releasing his unwarranted temper tantrums on Liam. But please do not misunderstand, for about the first three months after Liam and Niall became inseparable, Zayn did try to stay mad at the brunette. He grasped for any reason, even if it made no sense whatsoever.

"He touches him too much."

"Why is he sitting so close to him? Doesn't he know that Niall hates it when people are in his personal space?"

"His hugs last too long."

"He's looking at him again."

"Why is he like that with him?"

"He shouldn't be giving Niall candy; he has a show coming up. Niall can't be eating that."

During those months in which Zayn tried very desperately to somehow antagonize Liam's actions, he turned to Louis and Harry and they quickly became the older brother's confidantes. Much to the chagrin of the amber-eyed boy, Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles were and still are big supporters of Liam and Niall's friendship. And they told this to Zayn. Louis' famous phrase ("You need to calm down and not get your panties in a twist") that was once originally only for Liam was now thrown at Zayn.

But Zayn was calm during this time, thank you very much. Besides, the thirteen year-old older brother does not even wear panties, so ha Louis.

Regardless of how many times Zayn basically got shut down by Louis and Harry with quite logical explanations for Liam's actions, the black-haired boy still went to the two idiots to moan, whine and complain. And for those three months, the fourteen year-old and thirteen year-old rolled their eyes and barely listened.

"Zayn, they're just touches to the shoulder. You need to calm down."

"There's still a lot of space between them. Besides, if Niall is uncomfortable I'm sure he'll be able to tell Liam to back off a little."

"He hugs everyone that long, Zayn."

"Really, Zayn? Looking at him? I'm sure people are allowed to look."

"Because they're friends? Jesus, Zayn."

"Zayn, I'm sure one piece of candy isn't going to give Niall cramps during the show."