Sixteen Years Earlier

Sunlight shines brightly into all the cracks and crevices of the Payne household. Every member of the family is bustling, completely preoccupied with their own thoughts and worries about the start of the new day. Karen Payne could be seen running in and out of her children's rooms, initially coaxing them out of their dream-induced slumbers to now screeching that if they sleep one more moment she will drag all of them out of their beds because she can't be late to work. Geoff Payne is in the kitchen, reading the newspaper and drinking a steaming cup of coffee while carefully making sure that none of the sizzling and toasting breakfast foods start a catastrophic morning disaster. Nicola Payne, being the lightest sleeper out of the three Payne children, is the first to stumble out of her bed and let out a long, silent yawn. She drags her feet to the bathroom out in the hall to wriggle out of the last grips of sleep because she can't stand feeling fatigue while being at school. Ruth Payne wakes up suddenly. And during this fine Monday morning, she herself is having a horrible dilemma. Yes, today is the first day of school and she is actually very excited about that, but her bed is very warm and so very tantalizing that she obviously has no motivation to start the day with regular clothing and a shower. She lays there weighing her pros and cons, but the ultimate con of her mother's shrill voice "telling" her to finally wake up brings Ruth to the conclusion that she must get out of bed this instant and begin her day. Thankfully for her, she has done this process before so she quickly understands that the youngest of the three is going to get the worst morning treatment about discipline. Quickly, Ruth shuffles her way down the hall and enters the second bathroom, knowing fully that Nicola was smart enough to wake up first and occupy the first bathroom for showering.

Unfortunately, Liam Payne is still fast asleep in his room, his hair scattered all over the pillow and covers thrown haphazardly over his body and mattress. The nine-year old boy had every good intention in the world to wake up earlier the night before because his parents told him constantly throughout the night that the following day is a school day - the first school day. But that resolve quickly vanishes during his slumber. Him still fast asleep with a soft crinkle of a smile has nothing to do with the wonderfully vivid dream that is playing in his head. Nothing to do with it at all. But in his defense, Liam has to blame it on his father who let him stay up a little later than usual to allow him to watch some show about knights, dragons and princesses. And he'll have to blame his mother, too, for reminding Liam he'll see his three best friends again. And he'll have to blame his three best friends - Harry, Louis and Zayn - for bringing up the fact that Zayn's little brother is starting school with them. Liam has never met Zayn's little brother, but that excitement plus his mother's reminder plus the show he watched just created the most brilliant movie that his mind is producing right at this moment.

~~~~~

Four jet black horses gallop rapidly in the distance, their hooves clacking and creating dust clouds behind them. Black manes whip the shining chainmail covered bodies atop of the black leather saddles. The four knights ride into the darkness, adrenaline and rage mixing together and coursing together their veins. Because they are finally reaching the pinnacle of treachery. This is what they were trained to do. To find the captured maiden and bring them back to the King and Queen. The four knights immediately felt the distraught and sorrow of their Royal Highnesses when they brought the knights into the throne room. They all can remember clear as day what was asked of them:

"Harry, Zayn, Louis, Liam. This is beyond dangerous. But please, whatever needs to be done, do it. I need my baby back."

That day, the first three knights curtly nodded their heads, completely understanding what the mission was. But Liam, the last knight, bowed the lowest. Because he had seen the maiden in passing. And God, were they beautiful. So he also, to an extent, understood the pain and anguish of losing such a beauty.