5: In Which Lily is Cursed

It wasn't until the sun touched the horizons did Lily wake. Not from the bright rays but from someone shaking her awake. When she opened her eyes she was surprised to see another boy staring at her, at least a head taller than her. He was a darker shade than she, tan with dark curls for hair. 
        "Who are you? Are you a Witch?" he questioned her, staring her down.
"I'm Lily. Who are you?" he replied, getting up from her spot near the fender.
"I'm Michael. I'm Wizard Howl's Apprentice."
        Lily nodded, "I see. Is he home?"
The boy shook his head, "No, Howl has been out since last night Miss. Perhaps I could help you instead?"
Lily doubted he would be able to help her, but she had gotten a thought. What if she asked Howl to send her back? She could get  out of the Demon deal surely.
        "No, sorry. It's business I can only discuss with Howl himself." she lied. 
Michael nodded in understanding and caught a glimpse of her hand. "It's because of that isn't it?"
Lily tried to cover her hand from his accusing finger. 
She thought of a lie but nothing came to mind.
        "I understand now. You have a curse on you and you can't really say nothin' about it right?"
Lily only uttered a hum as a response. 
Michael laughed, "That looks like a nasty curse."
        For some reason, Lily's closed mind had pictured him to be a ginger with bright blue eyes but instead he was a 'Gyptian with beautiful green eyes..
"Curse?" She croaked.
        "That's right Miss. A demon has a hold on you and it looks deadly. I wouldn't want my wildest dreams in trade for that."
Lily was suddenly growing to feel regret against the deal. She thought about running away. Perhaps the demon would forget about her and-
Before she could finish the thought her hand began to burn once again, as if she had stuck her hand into a vat of boiling oil. 
        She sniffled a scream as she held her arm close to her chest. Calcifer only snorted however it sounded much like popping. Michael out stretched his hand, offering to examine the wound but Lily was hesitant.
"Please Miss? I promise I won't hurt you."
        The giant smiled at her and eventually she let him take a look. He had given her a wet towel to soothe the burning. However when she did peek at it, the Mark only seemed to get bigger.
"I'll be right back, you help yourself to the kitchen." said the Egyptian as he ran up the stairs.
        Without so much as a second glance she filled a cup of water and held it over the Demon's head.
"What was that?!"
The Demon didn't so much flinch. She had never been so fearlessly close to him before now. She could see he was not only blue and green but also purple. He could present shape in his flames. His hair would be green along with his tufts of eyebrows. He would have a long blue nose and purple pointed teeth. He did in fact look wickedly evil. His eyes were that of a regular fire which could be easily pointed out.
        "You were thinking about running away from our bargain, weren't you? Violating the terms will only kill you faster." he sneered at her with a toothy grin.
His eyes reflected malice, as if he enjoyed her pain. 
        Lily had nothing to say and the feeling of dread settled in once again.
The fire flickered up at her, as her cup was set down absentmindedly. "I always keep my word. My very being is proof of that. Now no more of that. We have to come up with something to tell Howl when he finds you."
        Just as he said this, Michael's footsteps were thumping down the stairwell.  Lily made her way to the kitchen, picking up a basket of eggs and bringing it to the fire. 
"Oh- Miss we can't cook while Master Howl isn't home. Calcifer won't bow his head." said the boy beside her.
        Lily stared at the fire. "How cruel. Even your warmth doesn't come without a price, does it?" she spat at the crackling fire.
"I refused to be exploited." he hissed in return. 
        Lily shook her head and held the pan over his head, "Come on Calcifer, you don't have anything better to do." The fire Demon groaned but made no protest against the pan. His fire had settled into a ring, perfect for cooking. Michael had a smile stretching from ear to ear. He scrambled to the kitchen an came back with a plate of bacon, looking hopeful.
        Lily thanked him and began to cook the bacon and eggs, all the while listening to Calcifer's infernal complaining. "I hope you bacon burns."
Just as Michael was grabbing the plates, the main door opened. Lily threw her head in the said direction, surprised to say the least. A man stepped inside, setting down his guitar and looking equally surprised. His hair was perfectly blonde and his suit was classically silver and blue. He wore some jewelry, mostly earrings and a match gem around his neck. What the pages never showed justice for were his Eyes. Glass-like, a marble of jade. Milky green almost as if he were blind. But that was not the case. 
        Michael jumped up like a child and shouted up at the Wizard, "Howl! Look Lily made breakfast!"
Howl looked from the boy to the girl. "Who the hell are you and who let you in here?"
Fairly harsh but it wasn't completely her fault. 
        "I'm Lily Mason. I was looking for you late last night. I need your help." she said, casting a glance at the quiet fire.
"I'm busy. You'll have to wait in line with the rest of the customers. As for you Calcifer, How dare you let a witch in here?" the wizard spat, walking over the his skull, resting on the bench.
        The demon only turned over on his log, "You really think I'd let a Witch in here?"
"You mean, she isn't a witch? Nonsense! I sense the magic on her!"
Michael entered the conversation with a mouthful of eggs. "She's under a curse. Can she stay?"
        Lily was surprised that Michael had wanted her to stay so quickly, perhaps it was because of her cooking skills. Howl pondered this a moment. "Very well. I will see what I can do about your curse. Meantime, Don't touch anything."

 🌸