11: In Which Lily is Frightened

A knock came to the door, making Calcifer wake. His eyes were weary and he was silent a moment. Michael and Lily both waited for Calcifer to announce who and which door was being knocked on. 
        "It's.....the Castle door."
Lily felt her heart jump into her throat as Michael got up to greet the guest. She turned to the flames, "Where are we currently?"
Her strained demand alarmed the demon into giving a straightforward answer. "Upper Folding. Near the Netherwastes."
        Lily stood abruptly and ran to the door which was mistakenly opened. Michael could get no words out to greet the stranger before a terrifying Scarecrow attacked. Lily pushed Michael backwards while Calicfer flared in defense. Lily tried with all her might to shut the door on the rampaging scarecrow but he refused. His tattered clothing and straw stuffing scratched her face and hands terribly but she managed to catch the demon's attention.
        "Calicfer! Move the Castle! Hurry!"
Demon would have protested any other day but today was not one of them. In fact he heaved the blocky castle onward at a rapid pace. Even the stillness of the main living space was shaking ever so slightly. The scarecrow jabbed at her with it's stick arms and tried to barrel it's way in but Lily was finally able to kick over his standing shaft and watch the Scarecrow fall into the rocks below.
        She slammed the door shut and sank down to it's base. She could feel her heart racing and her mark started to burn and spread. Michael ran over to help her up, "What was that?" He directed his question to the demon.
        "A very powerful Hex, I'd assume."
Lily thanked the Gyptian and found her way to the workbench with a glass of water. Lily peered out the window which was still Upper Folding. "It's still there. He's hopping after the castle."
Michael kinked a brow, "A friend of yours?" He only meant it as a joke but when he turned to her, he knew he had done wrong. Lily was scared out of her mind, and found herself buried in  her coat sleeves. "It's the Witch," She said with a sudden crack in her voice. "She's come to kill me because I bumped her in Market Chipping."
        Her normally sarcastic tone now shifted into a sudden sob. The others hardly believed it was the same person; which is a lot to say considering they've met Howl. Calicfer hardly felt guilty with the demon he was but somehow made it better, "Lily if she wanted you dead she would have done so by now. That is, given her magic works on you."
        Michael's brow gave a sudden twitch, "Why wouldn't she be affect'd? She's a witch, ain't she?!" 
"Shut it, you arrogant buffoon!" The blue faced demon roared. "She isn't affected because she isn't from here. We've had this discussion already."
        Michael closed his mouth, looking apologetically at Lily and then turning his gaze back out the window. The scarecrow still hopped his way through rocks and gravel to inch near the castle. His burlap sack of a face had seen many rains making the paint drip black. Or perhaps he was drawn to look menacing. Either way he followed.
        And to top the icing on the cake the door opened once more. Each pair of eyes looked anxiously at the visitor, fearing the Witch. Unfortunately the visitor was just as bad as the scarecrow.
        "Why is there a Scarecrow chasing my castle across Upper Folding?"
Michael was the first to speak and catch the Wizard's attention, "It's been chasing us and Lily thinks it might be the Witch of the Waste."
Howl stared back at Lily who hugged herself, looking much like a child. Her face had been scraped roughly and it seemed her precious glasses had been caught in the crossfire. Her pale eyes reflected horror and looked much like glass; as his own. Her cheeks had been reddened and striken with tears.
        "Lily?" He asked. No answer. She only stared at the window, unmoving. He went over and bent himself low, taking hold of her shoulders. "Lily, Look at me." And so she did. The motion made a fresh tear roll out but she was still too shaken to speak. 
        Once again the door was being knocked on. It was much rougher than before and Calicfer flared up in the grate. Howl ripped the door open and held his hand outward making the scarecrow freeze. It was no longer ravenous but still tilted this way and that, trying to get a glimpse of Lily.
"I'm afraid you'll have to leave. You have a curse on you and I have plenty of those already." he said, stepping forward slightly. 
        The tilting scarecrow hopped forward, now shoving Howl back. Howl however now held up both palms shoving the intruder back with an incredible force. "You have attacked my friends and frightened Lily, You are never to return; should I drop you in a blazing inferno." The moment the words were spoken, the Scarecrow went flying backwards far past the Wastes. Lily doubted she would ever see him again if the spell had sent him that far back."
        Howl returned and shut the door, turning the knob blue down for Portheaven. The sea-spray should calm everyone's nerves. Howl took a step forward and instantly heard a crunch. He cringed as he looked at Lily before his foot. She was on her feet, and stared down at the broken glass beneath them. Howl bent and pick up the frames, which was a mistake as he watched the remaining glass fall out.
        He placed the lenses in the open (and shaking) hands of Lily. Upon closer inspection he found notches and scarps on her palms aswell from the scarecrow's skirmish. She looked at them and back up to him. "Can you fix them?" She croaked.
        Howl was relieved she didn't yell at him for breaking them in the first place. "I'll do you one better." He said smugly. The helpful wizard placed a hand on her cheek and tilted his head forward. Her eyes now looked gray. Completely colorless and she looked rather sad.
        She pushed his hand away but it was too late. She could see perfectly. She no longer had to squint or push up those pesky glasses from falling off her nose. 
"What Have you done?"
"Cured your blindness. Some people would call that a miracle but a simple thank you will suffice."
        She slapped him. His arrogance had finally gotten the better of her and she finally gave him a physical smack. Her arm burned uncontrollably but she didn't care. "That was my only connection to my home Howl! The only thing I had of where I came from. I asked you to do one thing, something you were completely capable of doing and you choose to be selfish."
        Lily threw down the frames, hoping they struck his feet before locking herself in the bathroom. Howl stood there holding his reddened cheek from the smack. He was thankful she didn't find a rolling pin but despite the physical pain, she struck a chord with him. Perhaps he was being a bit selfish.

 🌸