17: In Which the Prince is Missing

The following night Lily got comfortable in her quilt and blanket, just as Ifrit came to lay with her. He stared at her with daunting eyes. She gave him a gentle scratch on the head. She had to admit, he was much kinder to her than Calcifer and her new mark didn't seem to grow. Earlier that night she went into the bathroom and was surprised to find a tribal star mark behind her ear. It was easily hidden but looked much like a tattoo. It was solid White. As she pet the demon, she absentmindedly touched it.
        "Does it hurt?" he asked with his blank feline face. 
She nodded. "Sort of. Not as bad as Calcifer's mark."
The white animal purred and gently flicked his tail. "I see. Not many demons have control over that."
"You sound awfully human, to be a demon." She noted.
"I'm not old. I'm still young and have sympathy for mankind."
"But still evil."
        The cat opened it's orange eyes, "Precisely." Ifrit sat up and and licked his paw, which carried vicious looking talons.
"So how old are you?"
"Roughly your age."
"Really?"
"Of course not! I'm hundreds of years older. But the maturity is roughly the same."
        Perhaps he was really as cruel as Calcifer.
"But enough of that. I'll be out hunting. I won't be far."
"But where will you go? We have food here." 
"I'm going to be doing research. Just be careful." Ifrit pounced away, out of the upstairs window that led to Kingsbury. She already missed the warmth he gifted her with when he sat with her. She paid no mind and found sleep easily. In fact she couldn't keep her eyes open if she wanted to.
        "Is she asleep?" Rasped Calcifer impatiently.
"You try holding an invisibility spell and putting her to sleep." Snapped the Wizard. "I needed to speak to you privately but she had been awake for hours with that cat."
Calcifer flickered at the mention of the other Demon. "It's Ifrit."
"Is that a demon? She's made a contract?" he asked, shaking out his raven strands.
        "It seems so. But I haven't seen any marks on her. But the cat holds much magic."
Howl furrowed his brows, "How can she have a demon? Only Witches and Wizards can make bargains."
Calcifer seemed equally perplexed. If magic didn't exist in her world then there should be no possible way she is a witch.
        "If I had all the answers, I wouldn't be stuck in this grate!" His purple flames pulsed with fury. He had never had an issue with other demons but Ifrit would cause problems and foil his plans.
Howl seemed wounded by the sudden outburst but dared not pay the Demon the satisfaction that he was in pain.
        "So then she lied to me." He said, more to himself than the demon.
Calcifer put his squabbles aside for a moment to stare at the wizard. He let out a loud cackle of laughter, only a fire could muster. 
"Don't tell me this human girl put a dent in your feelings. You couldn't care less about women you aren't after."
        Howl's gazed darkened. He didn't want to admit his feelings were hurt but how could he hide that fact?
"Actually I'm concerned. Say this Demon had a hold over her."
Calcifer hadn't considered that. That would be likely, but what would the demon want so urgently?
Howl left the fire to his pondering and headed off to bed himself, only to have disappeared bright and early the next morning.
        Michael ended up making breakfast, just as Lily was waking.
"Mornin'. I thought you'd never wake. I felt a bowl of milk out but I can't find your cat anywhere."
She scratched her head, pretending to look for him. "He may have run off. I'm sure he'll be back."
        Michael didn't press the matter farther. Instead he set out three plates. 
"Howl's here?"
The apprentice nodded. "He came back before I came back from the bakery."
        On the table sat a warm fresh apple pie. Lily didn't know how hungry she was until her stomach spelled it out for her. As if on cue, the wizard pranced in. He took a seat beside Michael, farest from Lily.
"I have some news." he cleared his throat.
        All eyes urged him to continue, each pair hoping for something different.
"The king summoned me today and requested I aid him again in the war."
        Lily didn't understand. Shouldn't that be a cheerful thing? 
Michael balled his fist and slammed it down on the table making Lily (and the skull ) jump. "You already made the boots. Why does he suddenly want magic again?"
"Why does it matter?" Lily piped up. Instantly Michael calmed. 
        "The war has been going on for months. It's only been recent that the king had been using magic to influence it. Using magic in war is very dangerous and many witches and wizards die. Some become things they never wanted to be. Some magic has that kind of power over people."
        Lily gulped at his response. She could understand that. Michael was only worried on behalf of Howl. 
Howl strummed his fingers along the table. "Unfortunately this news isn't much better. The King's brother has gone missing."
"Prince Justin? How?" Michael beamed through his pie.
        Howl shrugged, "From what I gather, he was in the wastes looking for the witch. The King wants me to go in after him and charge the witch for his kidnapping."
Lily couldn't piece together an appetite. Not after speaking about the Witch of the Waste.
        "Does the King carry those grounds?" Michael said.
Howl took a sip of his spiced milk, "He prances round his throne room like he does."
"Will you do it?" Lily said finally.
        Both boys gave her a questionable gaze. "Do what?" Michael finished.
"Find the prince and defeat the witch of course."
Howl finished his slice just as Michael was cutting himself seconds.
        "I can't." He said curtly. "The Witch and I are evenly matched. We were both the last students of Mrs. Pentstemmon." He stood and gathered his plate. He tossed it aside and headed upstairs in a grim manner.
"Was it something I said?" She asked, Michael.
"I don't think so. He refuses anything to do with the Witch. Rumor has it that he toyed with the Witches heart and now she wants to punish him. He's been running from her ever since."
"Is that why he won't save the prince?"
        "Doubtful. The prince and the King have been fighting of war tactics ever since the war started. He was likely to seek out the Witch for guidance but she gobbled him up instead."

 🌸